Clay Target Club approved

Clay Target Club approved

After earning final approval, Utica High School has joined the Michigan State High School Clay Target League.

Clay target shooting is the act of shooting a firearm at special flying targets made of clay, as the name implies. The league requires all student athletes to complete and submit certificates for either one of two league-approved firearm safety certification programs.

Parent Mark Kosanke is coordinating the club, which will provide opportunities for students to earn athletic awards for participation in the shooting sports.

Whether students are experienced or not, members of the club will learn shooting etiquette, and will encourage the development of marksmanship skills. Students will have fun breaking clay to score.

The USA High School Clay Target League is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation and the independent provider of shooting sports as an extracurricular co-ed activity to high schools for students in grades six through twelve who have their firearms safety certification.

“I think that it’ll be a good activity for students to join,” teacher Anthony Smith said.

Having the club has the potential to get students into hunting, or even start clay shooting as a hobby. Since it’s a new idea, it could open doors for students to join professional leagues and participate in competitions.

“It would be a good way to bring the students closer,” sophomore Hannah Piasecki said.

The club features a no-cut rule, so everyone is welcome, whether or not they know how to properly shoot a firearm.

Several topics will be covered at a student and/or parent meeting March 2 after school in the Media Center. Kosanke will be available to answer any questions about the club. The registration is March 10, so interested students should contact Kosanke at [email protected] as soon as possible.