Heading Back to the City of Dreams

Pack your bags, it’s time to head back to the City of Dreams. On March 15, nine Publication staff members will be traveling to New York City, New York to receive the Arrow’s second Crown Award.

The Award is the highest recognition given to student print and multimedia platforms by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. It represents complete excellence and is an absolute honor to even be a qualified contender as students and publications from all over the United States can be acknowledged.

“Although the newspaper is really good, I was surprised that we got it two years in a row. It is a really exclusive event and is a complete honor,” advisor Stacy Smale said. “The editors work super hard and that really translates in the quality of work that not only the community enjoys but judges recognize.”

The awards are being held at Columbia University and prior to the ceremony, multiple workshops and classes about writing, designing, business, and other journalistic fields will take place Wednesday March 16 and Thursday March 17. Here both newspaper and yearbook students will learn how to expand their skills and improve their publications. They will also be able to meet different people from all over the country.

“It’s a networking thing. You’re going to meet a bunch of kids, professors, and teachers who do what they’re passionate about,” principal Tom Lietz said. “You’re going to shake hands, hear perspectives, and see new types of journalism.”

On top of visiting Columbia and expanding journalistic skills, students will explore Time Square, go on a State Island Fairy ride around the Statue of Liberty, go see “Les Miserable” on Broadway, tour Central Park, and so much more.

“I’m just really excited to see the city and visiting Columbia because I’ve never been before,” junior Angel Augustitus-Bell said.

“I want to go into a career for journalism, so I think visiting the university will help prepare me for college and my career plans.”

Prior to this year, newspaper and yearbook students went to New York where they won a Silver Crown Award. In contrast to this year, students ate out at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory, some made a surprise appearance on the Today Show, and walked around the Rockefeller center.

“My favorite part was the day we journeyed around New York and went to the 9/11 memorial museum and the ferry ride,” senior Ben Byrne said. “The trip was really fun and made us all close as a class.”

Being able to experience something like traveling to New York with your classmates and friends is a complete honor. There is so much to experience there, as it’s so different compared to the quaint suburbs of Shelby Township.

“The secondary advantage is experiencing something outside of Michigan,” Lietz said. “New York is a pretty cool place and it will be an amazing trip. You guys should thank your teacher who pushes you as hard as she does in order to get the awards you certainly deserve.”