Bubba Klutch

Senior drops three songs, album in January

Bubba+Klutch

Senior Austin Kowalczyk, like millions around the world, aspires to become a singer and song writer. In an unforgiving music industry, Kowalczyk believes he has what it takes to make it big.

“I think that my lyrics make me stand out,” Kowalczyk said. “My songs are written from my real-life experiences and feelings, opposed to just what sounds good. I think that will help people relate to my music.”

Although he’s tried several stage names, including “Anonymous,” his first album will drop in January under the name “Bubba Klutch.” The name stemmed from the fact that his parents called him “Bubba” as a young child.

“What made me want to start singing and song writing was when I was at Tyler Warner’s house in eight grade and we decided to make a song,” Kowalczyk said. “We were using this “T-Pain” iPhone app as a joke, but when we played it back I thought it was pretty good, so I tried it for real.”

Kowalczyk has been working on his material since he was a freshman in high school. Since then, he has dropped three singles, recorded nine of the 14 songs on his upcoming album “Bipolar,” and is in the process of creating a music video to accompany the album.

Students throughout the school listened to “Good Vibes,” one of Kowalczyk’s current singles, and were asked who they thought the artist was. His voice, style and lyrics were compared to artists such as Mac Miller, Kendrick Lamar, and Schooboy Q. They described his music as “lyrically unique” and “relatable.”

“I don’t want to be compared to other artists,” Kowalczyk said. “Obviously those are world-class rappers, but I want my music to stand out as kind of like its own genre, like its own music.”

Though Kowalczyk has just started his career, many of his classmates are already predicting his eventual success in the music business.

“I really do like his music,” sophomore Ivan Kesto said. “He is lyrically one of my favorite new artists.”

Kowalczyk has also performed live on a few occasions. He performed in two talent shows and had a scheduled a performance at “The Loft” in Lansing. Although the show was canceled, he already has plans to book future shows.

“I think of my music more from a business standpoint,” Kowalczyk said. “I think that will make me more successful because the music industry really is just a business.”

The album “Bipolar” will be a free download for anyone and every one on “datpiff.com” and “soundcloud.com.”

“I want to give everyone a chance to listen,” Kowalczyk said. “I want as many people to hear it as possible.”