Students anticipate Vans Warped Tour

The annual Vans Warped Tour is here again. Filled with hardcore music, mosh pits, new friends, and an overall good time. Students are pumped for the experience, especially to see their favorite bands.

The tour started in 1995 and is still growing strong., though it got its name one year later since the Vans company started sponsoring it. Since then, the tour has been a place for a lot of up and coming artists to let their voices be heard.

However, newer bands are not the only twist. The world renowned traveling music tour holds a variety of music that started with bands like D12, Green Day, and Blink 182. Now it seems like the tour has shifted to more of a pop punk and hardcore vibe, though many students enjoy this transition.

“I like the change in genre,” sophomore Jordan Lebarge said. “It lets newer music be heard that this certain age group likes to hear.”

The tour hosts over 100 bands that are scattered across stages around the site. From popular bands like Asking Alexandria to other young ones like Koo Koo Kanga Roo, these bands are itching for a good crowd, and an exhilarating time.

What could a tour be without a good battle of the bands? The Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands are held every year at Warped Tour. The bands are judged by music professionals and the winner gets to do a side stage performance on the Ernie Ball Stage.

“It’s really great that new and unknown bands get a chance to be heard,” junior Spencer Haithcock said. “Warped Tour as a whole is like a breeding ground for up-and-coming artists, and it’s brought really diverse bands into the spotlight.”

Headlining the tour at the Palace of Auburn Hills will be We Came As Romans, a local band that is excited to get back to their Michigan roots. Students are excited most for the local bands to come and be discovered, and also for the possibility to meet some of them.

“It seems so surreal to see all the bands that I’ve listened to on CD’s or streamed all live and in person,” junior Seth Boughner said. “Hopefully I get the chance to even meet some of these bands. It’s also cool to see a lot of local bands to discover and maybe come to love.”

All in all, the tour hopes to be bigger and better than the last, improving each year with great music that the generation wants to hear and revealing local and young bands who get a chance to be in the stage light. Many students are just looking for a great time and a fun kick off for summer and a great chance to hang out with friends.

“Pierce the Veil is going to be on stage, which is very exciting,” sophomore Angel Augustitus-Bell said. “I hope they play ‘Hold on Til May.’ I’m also hoping to catch The Wonder Years, Escape the Fate, and NeverShoutNever.”