Students take community service ‘Beyond the U’

Many students hope to make a difference in someone’s life. Beyond the U club has the opportunity for students to participate in making a difference. Beyond the U is formed by students to raise money to build a school in Africa and help the community.

The club meets every Monday after school. Their goal is to raise $10,000 in five years.

“I think we will reach our goal as long as we have motivated people to help needy souls,” senior Tara Lehr said.

The past fund raising event of the club was the breakfast with Santa. It was held at Savory Grill on December 17 at 7:00am. The club also volunteered at the senior home in Shelby on Schoenherr they played games and talked with the elderly. The upcoming event of Beyond the U is having a potluck with the club members on Feb 5th. You can also check out the upcoming events of BTU on twitter.

“Beyond the U reaches beyond our school, to try and make a global impact,” junior Vita Simmons said.

Beyond the U club board members are hoping to take the most participated club members to We Day. We Day is a celebration of a young generation global citizens making a difference in their local and global communities. It is held in Chicago on Apr 28. BTU club members earn their right to attend We day by participating in BTU events.

“I find it admirable that Beyond the U is trying to reach beyond our high school environment straight from the beginning,” Simmons said