Rite of passage: 18-year-olds head to polls for the first time

Turning 18 comes with a whole lot of benefits, ranging from the ability to play the lottery and the opportunity to vote. To some, voting in the upcoming presidential election is more of a responsibility, rather than a benefit.
With Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as the leading candidates in this year’s election, many students say the choice comes down to who’s the best of the worst. 18-year-olds usually go to the polls less than older Americans, leaving their voices unheard.
“I plan on voting,” senior Tyler Martin said. “I’m excited to get a say in the country’s future; I think it’s important for the whole young demographic to be represented.”
Registration to vote in Michigan could be done at school or at a Secretary of States office. The form had to be filled out and mailed by Oct. 11. The form could be found in the main office, or on the Arrow website as a printable document.
Trump’s and Clinton’s first debate was widely viewed by voters, as it was their first clash on a national stage,
“It’s pretty important to vote in this election,” sophomore Shawn McLauhlin said. “It’s the choice between a convict and a con.”
Still, even with both candidates being equally unfavorable to most Americans, the civic duty of voting still must be exercised.
Barack Obama won in 2008 with a strong coalition of young voters, the same demographic Hillary Clinton is pulling for against Donald J. Trump.
Trump’s base of support pulls from white middle class Americans, those who are older.
“I don’t really like Trump or Hillary,” senior Alexander Dahdah said. “We need someone who is ruthless, but also caring, and honest at the same time, and I just don’t see that. “
Many younger people are very loyal to Hillary Clinton, or Donald Trump, but some are rooting for third party candidates.
“Well, both of our candidates are very popular,” senior Alex Herweyer said, “but I’m voting third party, and it’s an honor to vote.”
Having the ability to vote while still in high school is an great opportunity because school is closed on voting day, giving valuable time when sometimes people are too busy to get to the polls.
Students can also volunteer at the polls in November, gaining valuable experience and service hours. Becoming part of a civil service celebration is wonderful, the fruits of democracy are scribbled in on thin sheets of paper, in-between booths, shoulder to shoulder with neighbors and fellow patriots.
Principal Tom Lietz, who took a day off of college to register to vote, encourages all eligible students to head to the polls.
“You have been given a precious opportunity,” Lietz said. “To squander that is an awful thing. 18 to 28 year-olds swing elections.”
Although senior Micu Andreea is legally allowed to register to vote, she’s choosing not to.
“I don’t feel like I should decide who the next president should be,” Andreea said. “I wasn’t born an American citizen.”
Teens that are heading to the polls tend to follow the voting style of their parents. Teens who favor a left lean vote for the democratic party, who, to them, represent hope for the future. The republican party attracts those teens with a right lean, respecting the past and wishes to keep things the ways they were.
In recent events, Donald Trump has turned some toward the middle. After his comments on women from 2005, some have called for him to even step down from the campaign.
Regardless of how voters feel about this year’s candidates, they will need to make a decision when it comes time to step into the ballot booth and cast their votes.