Fall tech guide

New games, phones, tablets finally arrive

Photo%3A+Gamestop.com

Photo: Gamestop.com

Whether it’s the newest phone, tablet, or game, the latest and greatest gadgets come along with the beginning of the fall season. While some say that having the latest technology causes distractions for students, it can have a positive impact on how efficiently students work outside of school. Now, many retailers have back to school sales on the latest tech gear for students. The basis for deciding what to buy comes down to what an individual needs out of their devices. These are some of the hottest and trendiest devices that have recently been released to the market for students.

Grand Theft Auto V
The release of “Grand Theft Auto V” was one of the most anticipated game launches of the year. The Rockstar Games creation broke the first day sale record for video games, generating over $800 million in revenue in the first day alone, and over a billion within three days. “It’s the ultimate game,” senior Seth LaTour said, “with so many things to do.”

iPhone 5S and 5C
Apple’s two new phones launched with its latest operating system, IOS 7. The 5C is the cheaper of the two, starting at $99, and comes in five different colors. While the 5C brought a change in styling, many of the changes with the 5S were underneath the skin. It comes with Apple’s latest processor and a finger print sensor. Prices start at $199 for the 5S.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is the latest installment of the smartphone-tablet crossover with a 5.7 inch screen and a stylus as well. The Note also acts as a universal remote that can connect with most smart televisions. The Note 3 is also compatible with the recently released Galaxy Gear smartwatch and costs about $300 with a wireless service plan.

Samsung Galaxy Gear
One of the first smartwatches that has been released, the Samsung product offers compatibility with other galaxy devices, including phone calls, texts, and e-mails. It takes photos and videos that are up to 15 seconds long. Those photos and videos can be sent to other galaxy devices. With a price tag of about $300, the smartwatch is pricey for its features.

Nokia Lumia 1020
The Nokia phone comes with the latest Windows Phone 8 operating system. The Lumia has a 41-megapixel camera, allowing high quality photos from a smartphone. For comparison, the camera on the back of the new iPhone 5S has only 8-megapixels. The phone costs about $150 with a service plan, and went on sale in late July.

Microsoft Surface 2
While the Surface 2 looks similar to its predecessor, it comes with improvements that hampered the performance of the first generation. It still has many of the accessories that made the Surface unique, like the snap-in keyboard. The Surface 2 launches October 25th, with options for either 32 or 64 GB of storage and 200 GB of SkyDrive cloud storage.