Spring tryouts make for successful teams

Spring is a time many people are happy to see arrive. School is almost over and some students’ favorite sports begin.

The track team had a successful first couple days of track. Coach Matt Marulli returned to the team for his 2nd year of assistant-coaching and he specializes in sprints.

Ryan Hines is the new assistant in the throwing events.

The new girls’ track head coach is Chris Scott, who is a Utica cross country and track alumni from the graduating class of 2012.

125 athletes showed up to tryouts, including 30 freshmen. Sprinters and throwers have stayed indoors during practice due to the weather. Team members rgar run distance have braved the cold and did 800 meter repeats in the junior parking lot while it was snowing.

“Our first meet is a scrimmage at Lutheran High North on Tuesday, March 28th. Our first official dual meet for the MAC White is at Anchor Bay on Thursday, April 13th,” coach Megan Berry said.

“I have ran 4 years of track and I love it. Track is cool because kids from all different sports combine and compete together. Track is a family environment and everybody pushes each other to never give up,” senior Tyler Newton said.

“Track is going [well]. I like the people that run track and the meets and relays. It is really fun running in it,” senior Gabe Garbarino said. “I think more people should join because it is so much fun.”

Baseball tryouts also took place and went well according to some that are involved.

“Tryouts went great,” coach Jeffrey Lapratt said. “We had 70 kids attend them this year. The first game is March 25th against Warren Woods Tower.”

“Baseball is going [well], we have won the last 5 out of the last 6 games,” sophomore Joey Allen said.

“I like batting and pitching the most. I have played for 7 years and by the end of the season I think we are going to go 25-23,” sophomore Ryan Fitzpatrick said.