Amazing Race supports breast cancer research

Dylan Hamilton

To kick off the 2013 Amazing Race, seniors Dan Biermann, Chris Kaschalk and Sam Polina sold shirts for $10 during all lunch hours leading up to the event, which will be held Nov. 21 during third hour.

Student Council officially kicked-off fundraising for the Amazing Race for a Cure event by selling shirts for $10 during all lunch hours.

“I really liked the shirts,” senior Ivan Sanchez. “They’re different from any other t-shirt I’ve seen.”

ARteeAll profits from sales of the shirts will be added to the amount donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Breast Cancer Foundation.

On Thursday, Nov. 21, a 20-minute “race” will be held at the beginning of third hour classes. Each third hour class will try to raise as much money as possible during the 20-minute time frame, racing back and forth to the media center.

The class that raises the most money per active student average will win a bus ride to a free off-campus lunch to DaFrancesco’s restaurant. Additionally, all classes that meet a minimum target goal will be entered into a random drawing for a chance to win other prizes.

“I had a personal experience with losing someone to cancer, so I think it’s important to be involved in this type of cause,” junior Chris Kaschalk said. “Whatever I can do to help makes me feel good.”

During the Amazing Race, third hours will send a student “runner” to race money back and forth to the media center. Runners will return to their classes with updates, hoping to get more donations so their class can win.

Runners also have the option to dress-up, and prizes will be given to the best dressed. In the past, runners have worn everything from pink bras to pink tights.

Last year, the event raised over $7,000 in 20 minutes.