Lucky time of the year

They’re green. Have four leaves. And convince people that they’ve reached their luck. Four leaf clovers have always been associated with St. Patrick’s Day and with the holiday, many people’s superstitions rise.

If you’re Irish, chances are you’ve heard about four leaf clovers and how they bring luck. According to the folklore, each leaf has a symbolic meaning; faith, hope, love, and luck, but many people just consider the clover lucky. The legend sates that you should keep the clover in order to ensure your luck.

Another popular superstition people believe in is knocking on wood for good luck. Most people don’t fully know where this idea came from, but this popular superstition has become a habit for many students like sophomore Jessica Johnson.

“Most of the time when I knock, what I want to happen works out,” Johnson said. “My mom has always knocked on wood so I learned it from her.”

Some students may not fully believe in every superstition they hear but are still cautious when there is a possibility. Other common beliefs include walking under ladders, placing new shoes on the table, Friday the 13th, and many other superstitions.

“I’ve always heard that walking under a ladder is bad luck,” junior Elizabeth Cetnar said, “and I don’t want to risk my luck so there is no harm in not doing it.”

When it comes to luck, most people don’t want to risk anything. Although there are superstitions that many people believe in, some people have their own beliefs. Sophomore Julia Meguid has a few superstitions she never forgets. As a competition dancer, she is constantly performing in front of large crowds and has even formed her own pre-performance ritual for every dance.

“Every time I go on stage before I dance I have to jump eleven times,” Meguid said. “Eleven is my lucky number and if I don’t do this then I feel like I will not perform my best.”

Whether you’re constantly knocking on wood or using a lucky pencil on an exam, chances are you have your own superstitions.

With the recent holiday, students are reconsidering their luck and are hoping to “get lucky”.