Filed under Feature, Showcase

Downtown Utica expands annual Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration

Carolers, reindeer, horse-drawn carriage rides added to outdoor event

Back to Article
Back to Article

Preparations are underway downtown for Utica's Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration at the Jacqueline K. Noonan Riverwalk Park.

Finn Anthony Hopkins

Finn Anthony Hopkins

Finn Anthony Hopkins

Carolers, horse-drawn carriage rides, reindeer and Santa Claus–Christmas is almost here in downtown Utica.

While the smell of pine and endlessly colored lights are already making an appearance, the City of Utica is upgrading its annual Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration. 

“I wanted to make it big, and I want to make it memorable–a real tradition you would want to go to next year and for years to come,” Utica Mayor Thom Dionne said. “Bigger is always better when it comes to a party.”

The Jacqueline K. Noonan Riverwalk Park will be lighting up the winter night with holiday cheer and Christmas lights on Tuesday, Dec. 5.

The outdoor celebration is free, and will take place snow or shine. The event will feature many attractions, such as horse-drawn carriage rides, as well as hot chocolate and donuts in the warming center, which is to be located in the Gibbing Room of the Utica Library.

The horse-drawn carriage rides will include a short tour of the Downtown Utica area, and can seat around 15 people per ride. These will be available for two hours.

“It sounds really cool,” sophomore Savannah Sultes said. “It sounds really beautiful.”

Cameron Smale
Holiday banners and wreaths decorate downtown Utica.

The “new tradition,” according to Dionne, is set to include a variety of attractions, such as the Meadowbrook Theater Christmas Carol cast, who will appear in costume. The actors are scheduled to do some caroling during the event, along with the St. Lawrence choir.

“Seeing the city of Utica trying so hard to create an everlasting tradition means so much to me,” senior Nalani Renta said. “I am so excited to see how great this event turns out to be.”

Leader Dogs for the Blind of Michigan will also be making an appearance, along with the United Shore Professional Baseball League’s mascots. Additionally, the Utica High School Marching Band will also perform.

“It does sound interesting. I went to it last year to play music for marching band and there weren’t as many activities going on then,” sophomore Gina Sapiano said. ”I will be going again for marching band and I think it will be more fun than it was last year.”

Santa Claus will also be coming to town for this event. Children will be able to sit on his lap, and tell him about all the little goodies they want for the holiday.

New this year, Santa will be accompanied by his reindeer and elves. Attendees will be able to pet the reindeer in a small petting-zoo like area of the celebration.

“I may have never been to the Utica Christmas Tree Lighting, but hearing about all the new events really makes it sound like fun.” sophomore Oliver Fairman said, “I can’t wait to see how Utica comes together to celebrate this holiday.”

The event is scheduled to go from 6:30 to 8:30, though there is no official ending to the festivities.

“I wouldn’t put [the end time] in stone,” Dionne said. “It’s done when everyone goes home.”

For those hoping to start the night a little earlier, a reading of “The Night Before Christmas” will take place at the Utica Library at 5:30 p.m. The reading will be followed by a children’s craft geared toward ages preschool through third grade.

“What a great way to celebrate Christmas,”sophomore Dez LaCourse said.

More information about the celebration can be found on the city’s Facebook events page.

Haley Grooms, Editor

Haley Grooms is a normal reporter just trying to go through life. She is a part of French Club, SHF, and UHS Soccer. She enjoys to adventure and mainly...

Parker Hopkins, Editor

Parker Hopkins is an editor for The Arrow and a junior this year. They are also involved with Utica United and International Thespian Society. Outside...

Cameron Smale, Editor

Cameron Smale is a junior editor who has a comical, sarcastic attitude toward any situation. He isn't shy and doesn't mind making statements or asking...

1 Comment

One Response to “Downtown Utica expands annual Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration”

1. Jonathan Dang on November 28th, 2017 11:37 pm

Sounds like it’s gonna be a fun event. Makes me want to go to it for the first time 🙂

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Downtown Utica expands annual Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration

Entertainment

New Krispy Kreme Opening in Utica

Entertainment

YOU: Netflix’s newest hit

Feature

Get’cha head in the game

Feature

205 crew takes over the windy city

Feature

Diversity: An eye opening experience

Feature

Kevonian’s first hour wins door decorating contest

Clubs

Key club’s canned food drive

Feature

Breakfast with the Board

Feature

Rare red pandas get home renovation

Feature

Displays in the area light it up in preparation for the holidays