Skills U.S.A students participate in tournament

Whether it’s a murder, a robbery, or a break-in, police officers and criminal justice lawyers are needed to keep criminals off of the streets and in a jail cell.
Skills U.S.A.’s goal is to prepare high school students to pursue careers in these professions. The group is instructed by law enforcement teacher Rob Machak.
“I hope Skills U.S.A encourages students to pursue a career in law enforcement and criminal justice,” Machak said. “It really develops leadership and teamwork skills in students.”
The Skills U.S.A team recently participated in a state-wide tournament in Grand Rapids from April 11 to April 13. Students participated in the various categories, including Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Justice, and Firefighting.
“We practice by investigating practice crime scenes, analyzing finger prints, and taking tests,” senior Amanda Lockheart said.
Although the team did not place in either the Criminal Justice or Firefighting categories, they placed fourth in Crime Scene Investigation.
“The students did a great job and had a lot of fun,” Machak said. “It really was a great experience for all of our students, teachers, and advisors.”
Principal Janet Jones encourages students to join clubs that prepare them for real-life careers, such as Skills U.S.A.
“It keeps students connected to education outside the classroom,” Jones said. “It applies what you learned at school.”