What’s the big deal about Harry Styles?

Mackenzie Olmstead, Editor-in-Chief

In a world that has all sorts of great music and talented musicians, Harry Styles seemingly falls into that category for a lot of people. But what is it that makes so many people of all ages, genders, and lifestyles become so obsessed with the British rockstar?

The 27 year-old singer first got his name in the British-Irish boy band One Direction, who formed on the UK-version of “The X-Factor.” The five boys originally auditioned solo, but eventually were thrown together to form the group that later went on to be a massive part of music history.

The band consisted of Styles, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, and Zayn Malik. After Malik left the band during tour in March of 2015, the band went on to make one more album without him, before going on a “hiatus.” This hiatus was announced as an 18-month break, however, it’s been 5 years.

After One Direction, Styles starred in a film directed by Christopher Nolan, “Dunkirk,” as well as cutting his iconic long hair (and donating it!), and releasing his first solo self-titled album. He now has a second album, “Fine Line,” and is going to be in more films such as “Don’t Worry Darling,” directed by Olivia Wilde and starring alongside Wilde, and other names like Florence Pugh. Styles is friends with many music legends, such as Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks, even inducting her in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While he has had many successes, the first thing people know and love about Styles is usually his great music.

Flipping through the radio in 2020, it’s pretty probable that at some point you heard some guy come on the radio singing a song about watermelons and it got stuck in your head. That would be Styles. “Watermelon Sugar” was the second single to his second album. Other popular songs by him are “Sign of the Times,” and “Adore You.” The catchy tunes are just one thing people love about him. Watching celebrity interviews, it seems many of them adore Harry Styles, and judging by the fact that he has 37.1M Instagram followers and a load of fan pages, a lot of other people do too.

It’s always a good feeling to hear one of your favorite musicians aren’t horrible people, making all this music and being an influence for a new generation. Fans or parents with children who are fans of him will be relieved to hear Harry Styles is one of the good ones. Styles has a slogan and even a song with a music video, called “Treat People With Kindness,” so it seems fair to say he’s a good role model.

Videos have been posted of Styles making calls to fans in the hospital, as well of photos of him at a Black Lives Matter protest. There are also many compilations on YouTube of him being very respectful to everyone, especially vouching for women when interviewers have called them crazy for fangirling or made sexist comments. After one sexist and ignorant comment, an interviewer insisted the media training celebrities typically go through had taught him really well. A second interviewer disagreed, saying it had to be good parenting and Styles, who is very close with his family, agreed.

At his concerts, Harry waves around the LGBTQ+ flag and has even helped a girl come out to her mom, who was staying at a nearby hotel, by making the stadium go quiet and yelling, “Tina, she’s gay!” At a show in Washington DC, a transgender flag was thrown on stage and he made sure to wave it around in support.

Styles often reassures his audience that they are loved no matter who they are and signs off all of his tweets – that aren’t promotional – with positive, loving words, often reminding them to remember to treat people with kindness. For the one year anniversary of his sophomore album he tweeted this:

“Fine Line is one year old. I couldn’t be more grateful for you all continually finding new ways to change my life. Thank you for listening, and for everything else. I always love you, but especially today. H”

At a show in Stockholm, he made a speech about loving everyone.

“If you are black, if you are white, if you are gay, if you are straight, if you are transgender – whoever you are, whoever you want to be, I support you.” Styles said. “I love every single one of you.”

If you still don’t see how cool Styles is, he’s friends with music legends in just about every genre like Stevie Nicks, who he inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and has performed with multiple times, and Kacey Musgraves. He’s also worked with Ed Sheeran and is good friends with him. Sheeran has raved about how nice Styles is, mentioning how it’s a shame that journalists never care to find out about the nice things celebrities do, noting the time Styles spent thousands of dollars on Domino’s pizza so he could drive around and give it out to homeless people on his off day.

Since becoming a musician, he has written a lot of songs with beautiful lyrics. He has written songs not only for himself and One Direction, but also fellow singers like Cam and even Ariana Grande. Grande’s track Just A Little Bit Of Your Heart was in fact written by Styles. He’s worked with names like Gavin DeGraw and Meghan Trainor too. Showing his dedication to music, he also filmed a mini documentary about his debut self-titled album. The documentary, Harry Styles: Behind the Album, shows how the album was created with clips of him singing in the studio and even cutting his infamous long, curly hair, as well as him and his band playing through the album together.

Many fans have gotten tattoos of his lyrics (as well as lyrics from One Direction), replicas of his tattoos, his motto “TPWK” which means “treat people with kindness,” and even quotes from him like “Choose love.” One fan favorite lyric includes, “Just stop your crying, it’s a sign of the times,” a quote from his debut single “Sign of the Times”, which Styles expressed as being about a mother dying during childbirth, and what she would tell her child. Other fan favorite lyrics include, “we’re just two ghosts swimming in a glass half empty, trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat”, “shut your mouth and see, that I’m still the only one who’s been in love with me”, “you sunshine, you temptress,” and possibly the most tattooed of all of his lyrics, “we’ll be a fine line, we’ll be alright.”

It’s clear that Styles means a lot and is very loved, not only by his fans but also amongst so many others in the music industry. His true acts of kindness, ones he clearly does just out of the good in his heart, are something everyone could learn from.