Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Michigan Renaissance Festival: 44 Years Strong

Nat
Senior Maia Suggs, senior Kenadi Hazen. senior Lauren Garwood, junior Jaelyn Kaczmarczyk, and senior Natalie Garwood wore costumes to Michigan’s annual Renaissance Festival. photo by Natalie Garwood

The Michigan Renaissance Festival is a large event in Holly that spans for seven weeks and has seven stages of entertainment. The organizers celebrated “Festival Friday” on Sept. 29. “This would be my third year in a row, but I’ve been going since I was five,” senior Kenadi Hazen said. “The vendors change often, but everything else tends to stay the same.”
People attending the fair often mentioned the variety of food involved, from turkey legs to ice cream cookies.

“I kid you not, the walnut muffin was like heaven,” junior Hailey Daubert said. “The pickle was a close second, but the pizza sucked.”

One visitor in particular ran into a funny situation.

“My friends and I actually paid a couple bucks to get each other arrested and we had to do a little dance to get out,” senior Natalie Garwood said. “We even got certificates that said why we got arrested. I got arrested for lack of eye contact and my friend got arrested for being an evil genius.”

There were both old and new attractions. Places like Pub Crawl and Feast of Fantasy were highly favored when attendees were asked.

“There was this new tight walker named Blake Lewinda,” senior Kenadi Hazen said. “He really seemed to steal the show.”

Mythical creatures walked around and made the event truly special.

“Seeing everyone’s costumes was probably one of the best parts,” Garwood said. “We saw someone dressed up as Moth Man and there were people dressed up as fairies.”

It seemed like there was something for everyone.

“The mermaids always make the fair magical,” junior Jaelyn Kaczmarczyk said. “I had a friend who loved the fencing show.”

If a person can think of it, it is there. The Renaissance Fair involves any interest that could fit into the theme of medieval.

“The jousting is always fun, but my favorite this year was the Birds of Prey show,” senior Maia Suggs said. “I got to see some of my favorite types of birds in person and that was really cool.”

When asked if the 50-minute drive from Utica was worth it, most students said absolutely.

“I would drive there and back every day,” senior Kenadi Hazen said.

To most who go, The Renaissance Fair is a very sentimental place filled with many memories and laughs.

“I love going to the Renaissance Fair. It’s an atmosphere you can’t get anywhere else,” senior Maia Suggs said. “It’s fun to just go into a world of crazy things to get away from the real world for a day.”

View Comments (2)