Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

College guaranteed

Michigan universities admit all students with 3.0 GPA.

Out of 15 state universities in Michigan, ten of them have allowed any student in the state with at least a 3.0 GPA to automatically be accepted into their school.

This could be the solution that helps students who are less likely to make it into college. Some would say that this makes students less anxious about getting in, which could lead them to knowing their future is secured. Some believe it is not the best decision to make for a school. Arguments from people who are affected by this decision have actually come to light.

“I think a lot of times they mature at different rates,” principal Timothy Youngblood said. “Some people do a lot better in college than they did in high school.”

Many speculated that some universities may have made the decision due to declining enrollment.

“I think the colleges are trying to get more students in,” counselor Jordan Triner said. “I think a fair number would take them up.”

Triner said he feels that this may be a publicity stunt and the colleges have a more complex plan.

It could have that effect,” Youngblood said. “They’re looking for any way to try and expand the net of their students.”

Youngblood believes the new policy may have negative effects for some students that may not work as hard. He acknowledged that the plan may be to increase enrollment. “I hope not,” Triner said. “Just because they’re guaranteed admission at 3.0, there are still other scholarship opportunities based on GPA that could end up going higher.”

Triner believes that giving up is not the path to go on. He believes that students can start again and make themselves better as they go along.

“I think it should be selective,” Youngblood said. “If they’re saying, ‘hey we’re going to do this and give free tuition to people;’ it’s not about that, they want the money.”

Youngblood believes that schools shouldn’t be careless in who they allow into their school.

“There has been a lot of shifting over to direct into the work force or to community or to trade school,” Triner said. “We definitely need people to follow those paths. Any of the colleges are trying to get more students, trying to up their numbers again, which is also good, so that students feels less discouraged.”

Have at least a 3.0?

These universities will automatically accept you:

• Central Michigan
• Eastern Michigan
• Ferris State
• Lake Superior State
• Northern Michigan
• Oakland University
• Saginaw Valley State
• Michigan-Dearborn
• Michigan-Flint
• Wayne State

View Comments (1)