Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Fright Night: The Scare of a Lifetime

Senior+Beesan+Nijmeh+sits+far+left+next+to+junior+Carley+Davis+and+sophomore+Anna+Stecker+while+looking+at+freshman+Alexia+Thomas+to+the+right+as+she+points+to+a+camera+in+front+of+a+cage.+
Robyn Bauman
Senior Beesan Nijmeh sits far left next to junior Carley Davis and sophomore Anna Stecker while looking at freshman Alexia Thomas to the right as she points to a camera in front of a cage.

Students in the theatre department performed Fright Night for three nights. Three acts with three different stories were shown to strike fear into the hearts of teachers and students alike.

The show was run by three directors: senior Kenadi Hazen, senior Emma Clarke, and senior Nadya DeRosa who were all very happy with the product of their hard work.

“We always have so much fun and we all get along so well,” senior Kenadi Hazen said. “I genuinely feel like I am at home when I am in theatre.”

While there are many exciting things that come from a school play, the issues should be talked about first.

“Some people often did not show up on time so we almost had to replace them,” senior Nadya DeRosa said. “It worked out in the end but the whole fiasco set us back a bit.”

The directors spent weeks taking the actors from good to amazing, cleaning up any detail they could.

“I really hated having to nitpick about the actor’s work because of the worry of possibly upsetting them,” senior Emma Clarke said “but the bond you create with everyone is so important when making the show.”

It wasn’t just the actors having fun, the tech crew enjoyed themselves just as much.

Sophomores Alexis McMartin and Sophia Crook, both makeup girls, use exposition like “oh my gosh” and adjectives like “awesome sauce” when describing the experience of the show.

The booth got most of the action, adding color to the show with microphones, sound effects, and lights.

“I love being up in the booth with everyone,” sophomore Savannah Moore said. “They’re so sweet and explain everything very well.”

The show created connections between people that never would have existed without this project.

“Being in the program has helped me overcome my social anxiety,” junior Charlie Dobson said. “I’ve made so many of my best friends here.”

This play wasn’t just made for the cast and crew’s benefit though. It was the theatre department’s goal to cause the audience to be left in awe when the curtains closed.

“It really freaked me out when Blackwood pushed Valdemar to the floor in Tell-Tale,” sophomore Collins Harris said. “The whole thing just got me so immersed.”

Every bit of the show left the audience shaking in fright.

“I jumped when the monkey paw moved in John White’s hand,” junior Julius Morrow said. “The costumes really fit the characters from Mary’s white bandanna to John’s mustache.”

These three classic stories were very well interpreted from the minds of Edgar Allen Poe, W. W. Jacobs, and L. Don Shwartz. Next look out for Chicago, directed by Lily Oddo: same place, different time!!