Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Debate hosts dodge, duck, dive dodge ball tournament

On Nov. 6, many students attended and participated in the annual dodge, duck,  and dive debate dodgeball tournament. Players from all grades were required to get a group  of five together, as well as finding a coach, to make a team. Each team picks a unique name,  and some even get dressed up for the event to stand out.  

Although the tournament was a fun way for students to compete and have a good time, it was also to help the debate club raise money so they can continue to prepare for future events. The club made an impressive 500 dollars in all.

“The debate dodgeball tournament was all about fun, competitiveness, and showing the true Utica spirit,” senior Marek Ptak said. “The tournament was used to fund and support the debate club and we raised a lot of money. I think it went very well and, in my opinion, the best team won in the end. That is really what it is all about.”

The tournament included 9 teams in total. They competed from 4-6 pm in the main gym. Tickets to create teams were sold at ten dollars a player in the cafeteria during all lunches. Teams were also allowed to add a coach to their team for an extra 10 dollars.

They also had referees, which included senior John Shaow, senior Marek Ptak, and school police officer Gabe five dollars a piece. The viewers were exited to watch witch team would win the big prize.  Every member of the team who won the tournament would be rewarded with a 25 dollar  school store gift card. Many players were left bummed out to just fall short of winning the  big prize.

“We didn’t do too well,” senior Luke Cacaj said. “I thought we would’ve done better. We  got out second round. We all were very disappointed.”

Some players were not happy with the decisions made  by the referees, and think the game could have gone differently for them if different calls had been made. “We did alright, I expected better but I still had fun,” Junior Jonathan Carter said. “I wish the ref saw that I caught the ball at the end because that  would’ve changed the game.”

A whopping 55 people showed up to watch the event and admission tickets were sold at five dollars a piece to support their next activity and brought students, teachers, and staff together while doing  so. Everyone has already expressed their excitement looking forward to next year’s tournament. 

When asked about how he feels about the school doing fun and student interactive fundraiser events like this principal Tim Youngblood had a positive outlook.

“It was great, it’s fun to bring everyone together and have fun,” Youngblood said. “It’s good to have those types of things in school and I liked it a lot. I wouldn’t be opposed to an all teacher team next year whatsoever. I think that would be very fun and it would make the tournament even better. We will have to see what happens next year.”

The ‘West Side Bee Hornets’ ended up winning the tournament and taking all of the gift cards home. The winning team included seniors Isaiah McGarry, Numehnne Gwilly, Andy Carlson, Nick Gojcaj, and Zachery Conley. They were coached by Junior Chase Christian.

“It felt very good to win and the team was extremely happy,” senior Andy Carlson said. “Everyone on the team was very competitive and we all wanted the school store gift cards really bad. In the end, we all had a great time and are bummed we cant play next year.”

After another successful year of the dodge, duck, and  dive debate tournament, the debate club has raised money to support their next activity and brought teachers, students, and staff together while doing so. Everyone had already expressed their excitement looking forward to next year’s tournament