Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

StuCo’s Fall Festivities

Student Council activities, including the brand new Cider Mill, raise success and fundraising for the organization
Natalie Garwood
Juniors Crystal Youanes, Melia Poulis, and Reeta Gappy pose behind a cider mill frame for a photo shoot.

Upon entering the courtyard and seeing the copious amounts of donuts and pumpkins, student council members became ecstatic to see their ideas finally come to life. A cider mill, made by students for students, was finally complete. Student council had the idea for this cider mill for months, and it took a lot of trial and error to execute.

Student Council’s five members of the executive board, the originators of the cider mill idea, explain their experience as they navigated their way through the organization of the cider mill.

“For a couple weeks it was stressful,” junior Sarahi Agustin said. “We really just had to focus on getting all the food we needed beforehand, which was probably the worst part.”

To get the supply of cider and donuts, E-Board members separated to different cider mills in the metro-Detroit area to ask if they were able to supply the amount needed.

“In the end, Yates agreed to give us about 1,000 donuts, it seemed,” senior Brynn Wegner said. “And
Hy’s gave us 10 free cider gallons, so that really helped.”

Along with cider and donuts, the mill had other activities, including face-painting and pumpkin-painting.

“I had such a fun time painting peoples faces,” student council senior Isabelle Krajnik said. “Most people wanted a cat, and then they walked around the school with cat faces the rest of the day. It was so funny.”

Students look back to their cider mill experience with many interesting stories.

“I liked seeing everyone there, hanging out and having a good time in the courtyard,” senior Regan Kelly said. “It was good to get outside especially since it was a nice day and we’re usually stuck inside on nice days. It was a breath of fresh air.”

Teacher Mark Moehling recalls the experience of when the cider mill was first created.

“We were looking for a fun fall activity that everyone enjoys, and everyone enjoys going to the cider mill,” Moehlig said. “Bringing that good experience to the school, and not just the school, but the community, teachers, and staff too, is very important when coming up with new ideas in the student council office.”

Different activities at the cider mill included face painting, buying cider and donuts, and pumpkin painting. Many people felt that it was a perfect way to get outside during the school day.

“My favorite activity was the pumpkin painting,” junior Sara Youno said. “It was super fun to get out of class and I felt that it made going to school a lot less of a chore. I volunteered to help with the pumpkin painting, and it was cool to see all the different designs that people came up with.”

To fit the ambiance of the scene, music was heard throughout the entire event. Halloween songs like Micheal Jacksons ‘Thriller’ and Rockwell’s ‘Somebody’s Watching Me’ could be heard while students were doing their activities.

“I liked the music, because I feel like the whole thing would not be complete without it,” junior Bianca Bakiu said. “I can’t have cider and donuts without some Halloween music in the back.”

Students completed the rest of the day returning to their sixth hours, many with various face painting designs of cats or skulls on their face.