Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Senioritis strikes

Class of 2024 struggles with workload, motivation
Brandon+Carlo+is+sleeping+off+before+his+big+test+next+hour.+
George Eisho
Brandon Carlo is sleeping off before his big test next hour.

This is last year for seniors here in Utica. The time where students begin to lose their focus and become less productive in schoolwork and other classes; most commonly known as, senioritis.

This would usually take effect due to the fact that this is the final year for seniors. It is often observed that seniors have lower grades than previous years before. There is a debate whether senioritis effects heavily on a student or it is just non-sense.

“It’s awful, I think it’s a little more extreme these days and used to be just one singular senior-skip day,” principal Timothy Youngblood said. “I feel, like, after covid, the tendency to stay home has increased more in seniors than other grades.”

Youngblood says how senioritis can effect a student’s idea on skipping school. He also talks about how senioritis could effect every senior.

“It could take effect at some point,” Youngblood said. “Everyone is ready to be done, and especially with all this nice weather were going to have.”

Psychology teacher Steven Haley says senioritis effects every senior once second semester starts.
“I’m sure it effects every senior, but some more than others,” Haley said. “Second semester is the period in a senior’s life where they think they don’t have to do a lot and they can spend time with their friends, but that’s not the case here. It all matters how much time and effort you put into graduating.”

Haley says that overcoming senioritis depends on how much you respect your priorities.

“It can be overcome, it justs depends on how heavy duty it is and what people’s priorities are,” Haley said. “ Even some of the best students get it because they have been working hard for so long and once grades are locked in, they that their done. Although, your grades in second semester are calculated at some point and some colleges do look at them. So, I get why they might think that.”

Senior Anela Babovic disagrees that not every senior could be affected by senioritis.

“I don’t think all seniors have it,” Babovic said. “Usually, if they aren’t working and feeling lazy, it’s because they choose to be. They choose to not want to do their homework and study in other classes.”

Babovic says how senioritis can overcome they just try to their fullest.

“If seniors start trying to focus more on schoolwork instead of slacking and missing school days, then they wouldn’t be labeled as having senioritis.” Babovic said.