Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Additional parking lot opens

More students issued passes to park behind Wiley’s gated lot
TeYanna Eades
The gates to the new parking lot are open weekdays for students, and close at 4:15pm.

Pulling into the main parking lot behind Utica High, the driver doesn’t see an open spot, so they head down to the lower level.

After circling around, reality sets in that they’re most likely going to be late to first hour, because they must head back out into traffic to find a spot across
the street, next to Wiley Elementary School.

For many students, the frustration didn’t end there. Even after making it to the lot, drivers sometimes realized that all spots had been filled.

As a remedy, the district opened up new parking behind Wiley’s lot. In the past, this lot was gated off and only open for heavily attended games at Swine Field.

However, recently the gates have been opened before school, expanding student parking.

“We have 60 parking spots painted over there,” principal Tim Youngblood said. “The walk is a little far, but it’s better than the alternative of not having a spot at all.”

Students appreciate that more passes were issued. “I would park there if there were no spots left at Utica,” senior Blake Dean said, “but I wouldn’t park there ideal-ly.”

Because the new parking lot is gated, open times are limited for students. The lot is open on weekdays, and vehicles must be removed before the gates close at 4:15 pm.

“I think it’s unacceptable to have a time limit on parking,” senior Alex Smyka said. “It shouldn’t be closed because students have after-school activities.”

Students that need to stay later have the option to move their vehicles to a closer parking spot after school, as most of the closer lots are empty at that time.

“Doing that every day is such a hassle just for a parking spot,” junior Jalyssa Hash said. “I also wouldn’t park here and potentially get my car stuck.”

Announcements were made each morning, notifying all students about the new lot, and warning them about the rules about timing.