Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Back to Back MAC White Champions

Varsity competitive cheer has brought home the MAC White title two years in a row
Natalie Garwood
Varsity celebrates their win, taking home the trophy for the second year in a row.

Varsity and JV competitive cheer have taken the MAC white title home. Varsity now winning their second MAC white champ title in a row. Winning MAC white champs is amazing as is, but winning back to back is just incredible. Putting in countless amount of hours, hard work, and determination. They have worked this whole season towards this moment and have secured the title.

Senior Madilyn Woodard who is on varsity, has been cheering now for 6 years. This is now her last year cheering varsity in high school and have taken many underclassmen under her wing giving them important advice. Woodard also shares her and the teams pre–competition rituals. Having a tradition they did before every competition to help them stay leveled.

“Before every competition we all circle up and say a prayer together,” Woodard said. “For up coming cheerleaders, be in the moment and cherish every moment you have with your team.”

There isn’t just one thing that makes a team successful, but there is many things to help remember and make the routine go smoothly. Varsity senior Rachel Mulvaine has tips for incoming cheerleaders and what has helped her the past 8 years as a cheerleader.

“To up and coming girls going into varsity make sure you try new things, you might like it better, you never know,” Mulvaine said. “Repetition is key to preforming and to have your routine become easy.”

As competitive cheer is a team sport, it is very important to work as a team. Varsity cheerleader Senior Gabriela Boskovich, who has been cheering for 5 years now, shares what they do on a weekly basis, along with what they consistently do together to build their team bonding. She also has some words for the up and coming cheerleaders who are thinking about competing.

“We practice for three hours everyday during the week, work hard and practice to preform, we always warm up together and hype each other up,” Boskovich said. “Remember not to get discouraged after a loss, or one bad thing, make sure to go with the flow.”

Principal Timothy Yungblood in his spare time shows great amounts of school spirit by going to attend the sporting events. He recently has attended a competitive cheer competition at Henry Ford II to show his support and being there to witness their win. Yungblood is proud of what this team as accomplished and hoping for another successful year next year.

“The amount of athleticism it takes, it is very fun to watch and it is a strong group,” Yungblood said. “We did better than I thought this year, Hopefully I would like to see them move on up into the MAC red,”

Junior Mikayla Fifield is not new to this sport, as this is her 8th year cheering. During this competitive season, she has had many opportunities to show off her skills that she has learned throughout the many years that she has been cheering. She has some techniques to help with perfecting their routine. As she has one more year, she is continuing to prepare to come back next year.

“To prepare I practicing with my team and making sure my motions were correct,” Fifield said. “I am looking forward to the memories that I will continue to make going into next season.”

After a long season consisting of countless hours in practice, long competitions, the ups, and the downs, all the hard work that these cheerleaders put into their routine paid off with them winning their second MAC white title in a row. Not just the Varsity team won, but the Jv team should also be recognized for them winning the MAC white title as well. Both the JV and Varsity will be returning next year, going for the three-peat.