Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Spring Break Changes Accommodate State Testing

Zoey Desmond
SAT testing packets are available for students.

It is every kid’s dream: an early spring break. Maybe, but students get to see how it actually turns out when that dream comes true. Now this wasn’t just a special privilege or treat; spring break was moved up a week early, which gives students taking the SAT an extra week
to prepare. Previously, students would go on spring break then come back to school and
immediately jump into the testing. Now that it is going to
occur a week earlier, students are provided an additional
week to study or prepare however they see fit.

This change took place due to a change in Macomb County’s common calendar. In the past, spring break typically occurred during the first week of April; this year it is the last week of March.

Students have differing opinions about the break change, and whether or not it’s going to have a positive effect rather than a negative one.

“Everyone will be happier,” sophomore Collin Harris said. “School can be stressful, so it’s better to have a shorter amount of time between breaks.”

Sophomore Mary Lubien thinks the break should not be set earlier. “It’s super silly because spring break should be around Easter,” Lubien said, “so I could celebrate the holiday with my family and not have to worry about school.”

Sophomore Nolan Darga has his own idea for when the SAT testing should take place in correlation with spring break.

“We should be taking the test before break,” Darga said, “so then we can enjoy our break without having to worry about the SAT.”

It is no surprise that school is stressful for most kids. The SAT testing only adds additional stress and pressure. Previously, the shortened time frame for testing could potentially increase the amount of pressure students are put under.

“I like it better,” principal Tim Youngblood said. “We used to come back, have one normal school day, then immediately go into high stakes testing. The additional week will provide more normalcy and preparation for our students
and teachers.”

Youngblood also feels this early break will change other timelines.

“It also just seems really early,” Youngblood said. “It’ll make it feel like a longer spring for everyone.”

Since other counties made the change a few years ago, itseems as if Macomb is catching up.

Teacher Jennifer Allore shares her personal experience regarding the earlier spring break.

“My children do spring break this way in their school district, and I’ve seen the benefits firsthand,” Allore said. “It’s really good that they’ve finally moved it up.”

It’s clear that the staff feels this spring break will only benefit the student body, and it will
especially provide some relief for those taking the SAT. This way, everyone can have some
familiar scheduling when returning to school rather than jumping right into testing.