Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Valentine’s for Elderly

English classes make Valentine’s Day cards for senior citizens.

There is only one day in 365 days where love and compassion is given to the most and that day is Valentine’s Day.

Everyone is excited to express the love they have for someone special and close to their heart.

Unfortunately, during this holiday, a particular group do not get that same love and that is senior citizens. They decide that either they are too old to show that much love again or they have given up on the idea. But an idea from senior English teachers was created for seniors in high school to give Valentine’s day cards to senior citizens.

These teachers say the purpose of these cards was to give the elderly an expression of love from students who are thinking about them.

“It was a combination of the senior project changing formats during Covid and doing something nice for local senior citizens,” English teacher Andrea Solomon said. “I think it’s very important that seniors in high school are more aware of their surroundings, including the people in it, and their local community and encourage kindness in different ways.”

English teacher Linda Kamman agrees with Solomon on caring for others even in different ways.

“I think it is always important to let others know you are thinking about them,” Kamman said. “This kind of gesture can make someone’s day and make them feel better about themselves too.”

English teacher Suzanne Greenfield agrees with both teachers that compassion for others is important for them.

“Since many of the recipients suffer from loneliness and isolation, this kindness can brighten their day,” Greenfield said. “These letters help bring joy to our local community members who may be forgotten.

This project is said to be of a community service than grade for school.

“Anything that helps give back to our community and make it a safer, better place is always great time to be active in the community,” principal Timothy Youngblood said. “Sometimes when you volunteer, you get more out of it. It makes you feel better about yourself and it’s good to be an out and active part of your community, even if its playing a small role.”