Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Meet Utica’s 2024 Teacher of the year

Students and teachers vote Stacy Konnie as top educator
Gloria Cottone
Teacher of the year Stacy Konnie works at her desk.

Out of 65 teachers, English and Spanish teacher Stacey Konnie has been awarded teacher of the year.
“I am very honored to receive the award,” teacher Stacy Konnie said. “All of the teachers in this building are deserving of it.”

Konnie attended Michigan State for her undergraduate degree, then continued her educucation at Wayne State for her teaching certificate. Konnie started her teaching career at Utica in 1995.

“I am fortunate to have a job that I enjoy,” Konnie said. “My students inspire me to be the best version of myself. To see a student succeed and be proud of themselves reminds me why I chose to be a teacher.”

Konnie is the type of teacher that believes in her students and provides them with work that ensures success.

“I love how patient she is with everybody, junior Giana Taki said. “Shes very flexible with all of her assignments and due dates.”

Every year Konnie gives helpful testing tips to her students to help guide them to better their confidence while testing.

“She’s preparing us well for the SAT by having us do practice essays, about 10 questions a day,” junior
Vanessa Agnello said.

In order to help students, Konnie likes to imagine things from a students point of view.

“Each teacher has their own style and philosophy,” Konnie said. “In the classroom, I always ask myself
how I would want a teacher to interact with and teach my own child. This keeps me grounded and helps me reflect on the skills and classroom atmosphere that would most benefit my students.”

For those thinking about continuing their education by studying to go into a teaching career, Konnie has some advice for you.

“My daughter Rose is graduating with her teaching certificate this spring in elementary education and ESL,” Konnie said. “I would tell them the same message that I gave her: Teaching is an honorable profession. It gives you an opportunity to help make a difference is another’s life. At the end of the day, it is how you help others that truly matters.”

Konnie is known to be one of the most respected members of the staff.

“I feel that this was extremely well-deserved,” principal Tim Youngblood said. “Mrs. Konnie represents all that is good at Utica, she values relationships, academics and high standards equally. She is caring, dedicated, intelligent, and loyal to everything that is Utica High School.”

If you are one of Konnie’s students or used to be this is her direct message to you.

“It is an honor to be your teacher and be part of your life, if only for a short time,” Konnie said.

If you see Konnie in the halls, make sure to congratulate her on her achievement.

Teacher Stacy Konnie with her plaque she won for being teacher of the year. (Loriana Mannino)