Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Track Has a Quick Start to the Season

Tim Hoff
Senior Zoe Zieser finishing first in her 100 meter dash

Outdoor track season has now began. Heading into the season, the boys team are fighting to restart their MAC White champs streak, previously three years, so far they are well on their way to win that title, reclaiming it from Fraser High school. On the other side, the girls team is trying to win the MAC White title, getting revenge on Fraser High school from the previous year. The track team has a promising season going forward. Many athletes are prepared coming from indoor season, other sports, or for many athletes, this might be their first time running track.

After coaching track and cross country for eight years and an alumni from Oakland Track and Field, Coach Chris Scott is left with a lot of knowledge with the sport of track. He is the head coach for the girls track and field team along with the sprinting group in general, and the girls cross country team. Scott wants this team to compete for the league championship and continue having success in having athletes qualify for state finals. Each year having the standard higher than the last.

“This year, the cohesiveness of the athletes to support each other and spread their talents out over all 17 events has been most apparent,” Scott said. “We may be one of the most well rounded teams in the county as a result.”

Sophomore Amaya Williams has had a long career running track. She has been consistently running since she has been in sixth grade, she is in her fifth year. Williams does sprints, long jump, and she does relays. To prepare for this season she has been lifting weights, looking forward to an exciting season ahead.

“I would love to work up to break the school record in the 200 meter,” Williams said. “I love track and the coaches being flexible with my busy schedule helps a lot.”

Junior Jonathan Carter is a well diverse athlete and has been running track for three years now. He runs as well as does field events. Carter runs anything from a 400 meters down, to being able to high jump and long jump. He can be put in at any time where ever he is needed and he gets the job done. Carter is currently 0.2 seconds off of the 200 meter school record.

“To prepare going into this season I stayed active by doing many sports and sprint drills,” Carter said. “My goal for this year is to break the school record for the 200 meter dash.”

Junior Jackson Loria is in his second year of doing track and field. Loria does shot put and discuss. He has already made so much progress in such a short amount of time into the season. Loria has been training and working out during his off season. Loria has many goals for this track season and where he sees himself at the end of the year.

“I hope to throw farther than I did in the past years,” said Loria. “I continue to throw because I am competitive, love to compete, and it can be very fun with the friends that I’ve made.”

Senior Robbyn Seal puts the field in track and field. Seal has now been high jumping for four years. Each year she continues to improve and it didn’t go unnoticed. Seal has now committed to Concordia University Ann Arbor to continue on to the next level of high jumping.

“I love the competition and hope to make it to counties along as regionals this year,” Seal said. “I am so excited to attend Concordia University and be apart of their track team and start a new athletic journey.”

Overall, on both the boys and the girls side of the track team, they have a promising season ahead. Everyone on the team has a goal in mind, either a personal goal or a team goal. They are all on track for a great season and hope to take home the MAC white title on both sides, for the boys team to reclaim the title and the girls team finally reclaim the title after years.