Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lashes By Mary

Senior starts successful lash extension business
Mary Moriarty
One of Mary Moriarty’s clients was photographed for social media after she received a fresh set of lashes.

As seniors begin to think about their next step after high school, it’s important to con sider what they enjoy the most. For some, having a hobby can extend beyond their own domestic enjoyment. Many may decide to start a business with their talents.

“I started my eyelash business because I got my own done so often,” senior Mary Moriarty said. “I started doing it to myself, and I thought, why not start doing it to other people?”

Showing the entrepreneurial spirit during high school can lead to success afterward. “Because I started my lashes business so early,” Moriarty said, “I know I want to start my own business after high school, whether it’s lashes or something else.”

Moriarty started her own Instagram account, lashedbymaryy_, to promote her business and to get more people around the school to support her. “My Instagram helps get the word out about my business,” Moriarty said. “I do my friends’ lashes, and then other people start coming once they see I’ve did a good job.”

Senior Nadya Derosa recounted her first time getting her lashes done by Moriarty. “I loved getting my lashes done by her,” Derosa said. “She made me feel very comfortable, and I liked having someone I know and I can trust touching my eyes. Her prices are amazing and she does a beautiful job.” Derosa says that Moriarty inspires her to follow her goals. “I personally don’t have a desire to start my own business, but I can tell she inspires others. Her hard work makes me want to work harder on my goals, as well,” Derosa said.

One of the most rewarding things about owning a business is the positive costumer feedback. “My favorite part of doing lashes is my clients happiness after I’ve finished. When they are happy, I’m happy. It makes the process worth it.”

Principal Timothy Youngblood encourages students to start their own businesses to pursue their passions. “It’s great to build up experience for students that start their own business. It can also inform them on taxes, and other important things that they will come to course with in their adult life,” Youngblood said. “It’s a great idea for students who are looking to go into marketing”

As a high school student, balancing work and student life can be difficult. But Moriarty keeps her grades on top while keeping her business afloat. “It’s important to make time for the client, and if I have to move around an appointment or adjust things they usually understand,” Moriarty said. “I always try to figure it out for the client, but it’s also important that I focus on my schoolwork, too.”

Of course, owning a business comes with its own challenges. “Sometimes it brings stress on me because I want to make everyone happy and take everyone’s appointments, but sometimes life is too busy and its not possible,” Moriarty said. “It makes me look forward to the future, when I don’t have to worry about school anymore, and I can just focus on the things I enjoy and put my full effort and time into it.”

Moriarty believes that anyone who wants to start their own business can do it if they put their mind to it. “To anyone that wants to start their own business, I say just do it,” Moriarty said. “You only live once, and getting an experience like this is so worth it.”