Linda Kammann named 2018 Teacher of the Year

Evan Gray, Online Editor

Without teachers, school would not even be in session. They teach their students about life and about their subjects of expertise. In an effort to give teachers more recognition for all the work they do, teacher awards are often given out by schools.

Each year, one teacher a year is named the Utica High School Teacher of the Year based on votes from fellow staff members.

German and English teacher Linda Kammann was named 2018 Utica High School Teacher of the Year.

“Mrs. Kammann is a great German teacher and an even better person,” junior Jeffery Hitchcock said. “She deserved Teacher of the Year.”

After a teacher wins the honor at their own school, they compete for the award at the district level with teachers from all other Utica Community schools buildings.

“[Kammann] deserved the award just as much as any other teacher,” principal Thomas Lietz said. “She is not only an outstanding teacher, but also an even better leader. She is one of the hardest workers I have ever met and I am very glad and proud that she has won this award.”

The average teacher in the United States works an average hour of 50 hours per week, according to the National Education Association website. That is counting teachers that run clubs and stay at school after the school days are over.

Kammann is an adviser to both the German Club and the National Honor Society. She also oversees the senior project that all seniors must complete in their English classes as a graduation requirement.

“I am here at school all the time,” junior Amanda Marshall said. “I always see Mrs. Kammann working or just here helping, and you have to respect her for that.”

The country as a whole also gives out a Teacher of the Year award; it was officially started in 1952 by the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). It was made to give credit and reward excellence to teachers accross the nation who go above and beyond when it comes to their job.

“I feel very honored that I won,” Kammann said. “It was vey humbling.”

“Mrs. Kammann is an extremely good teacher,” junior Johnny Tisch said. “I take German and she teaches very good and always makes sure all of us students understand what we’re being taught.”