“As long as I’m passing.” Slipping by with C’s and D’s won’t end well for you.

Cameron Smale, Guest Reporter

When going about your school day, it’s pretty disappointing to hear, “Yeah, so I have a D- in math, a C+ in history, a D in English and a D- in science. But, I mean, I’m passing so that’s what matters.” I often wonder what goes through these students’ minds when they think about what their lives will look like 20 years from now.

Although I personally believe that there are pros and cons to the American education system, you have to be flat-out dumb to think you’ll be fine in the future without some sort of post-high school program or degree, or taking skills out of high school, at the very least. What I mean is that it’s okay to think differently, but unfortunately, the world doesn’t really care about your feelings. So it’s giving you two options: suck it up and work hard to achieve your personal goals, or learn how to flip burgers at McDonald’s. You might even be Employee of the Month some day!

Many students who currently work in the food industry already know that it’s not an “end game” career. These students may also note the cocky, 40 to 50-year-old, know-it-all employee that never seems to be in a good mood. Ever. This same employee probably wasn’t t

he type of student who stayed at home and studied, like a good boy or girl, while their peers were out “numbing their minds.”

A lot of these “as long as I’m passing” students have this amazing, I’ll-do-it-later, mentality that will probably take them all the way up to their senior year before they realize that they’re screwed.

A surprising pattern that I’ve observed in my past encounters with ALAIP (As Long As I’m Passing) students is their term “sugar daddy.” This is commonly used to describe one who basically pays your bills and gets you presents a lot. First of all, if you’re going to rely on the slim chance that you might find

someone stupid enough to give you money, I hate to break it to you: You’re going to end up being the type of kid who has to beg their own parents for money because they can’t afford to pay their bills.

I’m not trying to rip on people who actually try their hardest. I respect that. What I don’t understand is how someone will get an assignment, totally understand the directions, know when it’s due and not do it just because they didn’t feel like it. If you are completely capable of learning, then learn. Life won’t give you a second chance.

One of two things will happen to ALAIP students when they go into the world. They will either live on ignorantly, possibly living in their mom’s basement, or realize that Mr. Teacher knew what he was talking about when he said to pay attention in class.

There is also another type of ALAIP student. “I’m going to go to the NFL for two years and then switch to the NBA, bro.” Yes, the students with unrealistic expectations for their futures. Let’s face it. If you aren’t ambitious enough to apply yourself in class, it won’t be any different for sports, even if you are really athletic.

I already know that there will be people who think my opinion is absurd, but to that I would just say, “Cry me a river.” If ALAIP students continue on their current practice of thinking it’s fine not to try, please remember my next words: I don’t like tomatoes on my burgers.