Jimmy John’s Field hits a home run with new entertainment

Opening day of local ballpark set for May 11

Evan Gray, Online Editor

One of downtown Utica’s newest and most popular additions is gearing up for another season this spring.
Jimmy John’s Field, home to the Utica Unicorns of United Shores Professional Baseball League, will open for the 2018 season on Friday, May 11.

There’s plenty in store this year, with new entertainment options being brought to the field – including some students.
Senior Lindsey Wawrzyniak is an intern at the USPBL, and was a part of the new project to record theme songs for all four teams in the league.

Also new this year is the dance crew, which Wawryzniak is also a member of.

“We’ll be going in stands,” she said, “handing out food, and mainly helping with the high school crowd [and getting them excited].”

Sophomore Nina Adrianos is also a member of the dance team, which is set to dance at Jimmy John’s Field for 12 games a month.

“There were a lot of people that auditioned [for the dance crew], and only about 20 or 30 made it,” Adrianos said. “I’m really excited to dance at Jimmy John’s Field.”

The field hires a lot of high school students for all kinds of different things. Many kids from schools all around the field go looking there for a nice and fun summer job.

“I work there for a summer job and it’s a super fun job,” junior Nathan Kobane said. “Ever since I’ve worked there it’s been a great experience and me and the whole staff there are hoping our guests love the new changes we have made to the park. It is going to be a lot different than it was last year.”

The new season at the field is sure to be a hit with students, between the new additions and old favorites, such as the Friday night fireworks display.