RELAY FOR LIFE

HHS raises money during annual event

Parker Hopkins, Reporter

Running for your life has taken on a new meaning.

Hispanic Honor Society took to the streets for Relay for Life during the weekend of May 19-20. The event took place at River Bends Park.

Relay for Life is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society and cancer research. Attendants can walk around a track lined with tables and tents. These makeshift booths sell various items, from bracelets to crafts to snacks.

“It’s really fun being with everyone,” secretary Gabriella Grimaldi said.

In order to pull off a successful event, the planning begins early. Officers from Hispanic Honors Society have attended meetings to plan since the beginning of the year. To help out, all members were tasked with raising at least $30.

During the Relay, there are multiple activities, such as late-night karaoke, a silent auction, and a survivor luncheon.

A luminaria ceremony is also held with candles and lanterns to honor those touched by cancer. Two members of the club take on the task of making the PowerPoint for the ceremony with the names of those affected by cancer that each participating team would like to honor as they walk their symbolic lap around the track in their memory and honor.

By the end of the event, each group tallies up the amount of money they raised. This year, the club’s goal was $7,000, which they were just short of at press time.

“We were the top fundraising school last year,” treasurer Chloe Clyne said. “We raised around seven-thousand dollars, and we hope to get a little more this year.”

Although rain storms and cloudy weather throughout the day made for low attendance for the whole event , the members that did attend the 24 hour event said that they had a great time and that this was another successful year for the event.

“I am so proud of our team and everything we’ve accomplished,” president Elizabeth Cetnar said. “Our hard work really paid off, especially because we once again received the trophy for the top-fundraising student team.”