Chemistry classes celebrate mole day

Jayy Emery

Teacher Courtney Struck makes pancakes for her first hour class celebrating mole day.

Parker Hopkins, Editor

On Oct. 23, the AP Chemistry classes celebrated mole day – a ‘holiday’ named for a unit of measurement – with food, fun and, most importantly, moles.

For those wondering ‘why moles?’, the day is in celebration of Avogadro’s number, which is a large aspect of many chemistry calculations. The date of the celebration, Oct. 23, is reflective of the number itself, 6.02x10e23.

“If you’re really into it,” teacher Courtney Struck said, “you could celebrate it from 6:02 am to 6:02 pm on October 23.”

Though the classes didn’t necessarily get that into the celebrations, they did stop their work in order to snack and share mole-related puns. As an extra credit opportunity, students could create a mole, the animal, not the number, themed after anything they wanted. Many people decided to make theirs into puns.

“We had a lot of food and got extra credit for making a mole pun,” junior Megan Walker said. “There were things like water-mole-n, mole-in-one, Meghan Mole-kle, and finding ne-mole,”

Many students appreciated the relaxation day in the class, grateful that they were allowed a ‘day off’ so to say.

“It was a lot of fun,” senior Olivia Fuhrman said. “Having a day off from an AP class was a relief.”

Overall, the classes found the day a-mole-zing. Even if the students don’t remember the day itself, they are bound to remember the moles they created.