YOU: Netflix’s newest hit

Mackenzie Malone, Social Media Editor

Absolutely nothing is more frustrating to me then when I’m just trying to watch something on Netflix and it feels like I’ve seen every movie and television series released. I know for a fact that all of you have felt the same pain, but no worries, we may have found your next new obsession. “You”.

Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) is charming, and mildly attractive, bookstore keeper in New York City. After meeting beautiful poet Guinevere Beck (Elizabeth Lail) one time in the shop, he falls madly in love with her. Yes, you read that right, he fell in love after meeting her once. Little creepy if you ask me.

Guinevere, affectionately known as Beck by her friends, is a struggling writer and student that has faced many obstacles in her life that Joe compulsively finds the need to save her from. He’s like obsessive Prince Charming to Beck’s naive Cinderella.  Over the course of the first season, Joe and Beck find themselves completed immersed in their love for each other.  The problem is that he blurs the line between love and obsession on numerous occasions and Beck just stays clueless the entire time.

Netflix subscribers are going wild over the recently released series “You”, which originally premiered on Lifetime television network back in September of 2018. The series was adapted from the enigmatic book by Caroline Kepnes, also titled “You”. Readers and viewers alike can agree that the psychological thriller will keep you hooked the entire time, and I for one consumed the show over a 24-hour time span.

In a totally non-biased way, the show was very well done. The plot was original and interesting, and the twists never stopped coming. The inclusion of Joe’s narration that tipped the viewers into his every thought and justification was intense and so entertaining.

In a world where we broadcast every single aspect of our lives on the internet, it really made me stop to think about how much and just exactly what I’ve shared. Joe used all of Beck’s social medias to stalk her life and I would die if I thought there was someone doing the same to me. Although, I’d like to think I would be more aware of a guy like Joe.

The show was a little far fetched in the sense that no one really caught on to Joe’s hobbies (except for Peach, and we all know what happened to her). Beck has the whole ‘girl-next-door’ vibe but with a tortured author complex, which by the end of the season drove me insane.  Many viewers, along with myself, found it annoying that Beck was so blind to everything that was happening right under her nose. I mean c’mon, did she really think he just happened to be at the same Dicken’s festival as her and her family? (If you know, you know)

So the next time you are looking for something to watch on Netflix, keep “You” in mind. I promise you won’t regret it.