Utica hosts 1st annual StorySLAM

Mackenzie Malone, Social Media Editor

If you’re the type of person that loves to entertain by telling people stories, or the type of person that loves to listen to others tell about their life happenings, then StorySLAM is exactly what you need in your life.

On March 6, Utica High School will be hosting its first annual StorySLAM in the ECC room from 7:30-8:30.

StorySLAM is a live story telling competition where students have five minuets to tell a story based on the chosen theme. For the first slam, the theme is “delusions.”

StorySLAM was created as a way to share human experiences and strengthen community by sharing individual stories. Teacher Mark Moehlig is sponsoring the first slam at Utica, and he encourages first-time storyslammers to check out The Moth, an organization that promotes the art of story telling and the bond that it creates in the community.

“Hopefully we see enough interest to keep it going for years to come,” Moehlig said.

Students must come prepared with a true story involving themselves that is linked to the topic. Stories must be told, not read, meaning no notes or cards of any sorts are allowed while the student performs.

“Some of the stories are sad, some of them are funny,” Moehlig said, “The structure is left wide open.”

If interested in performing, students can either contact Moehlig in person or email at [email protected].