World language week

Anthony Barney, Online reporter

To kick off spring break, language teachers are taking time off of their busy teaching schedule to celebrate national world language week. This is a holiday that has been celebrated by americans since 1957, when it was first endorsed by former President Dwight D. Eisenhower. For those who may not be familiar with world language week, it is a time for language learners to appreciate foreign language and culture.

The world language festivities consist of : Monday, March 25 is trivia day, Tuesday 26 is a scavenger hunt, where students travels across various cultured rooms to either take a video or picture of them completing the required task. Wednesday 27 is party (food day), where a classroom will bring in delicacy foods related to the culture. Thursday 28 is cultural videos, where students will learn about the culture of the languages taught and finally Friday 28 is decorating flags. To represent countries that speak the native language students are trying to learn. For each festivity, except Wednesday and Thursday, winners of each challenge will receive a prize as their reward.

“It was a super fun experience,” junior Nur Awkal said. “It was very educational learning about the german, spanish, and more of the french culture which I did not know of before.”

Although, controversy arises every year with a specific event. This event being the food day. As we all know, allergies are no stranger to classrooms worldwide, and our classrooms are no exception. In the past, students would bring in food associated with the culture of their language class, this year however a change has been implemented. It was debated over a recent staff meeting to determine the fate of the food day, and the staff came to a consensus

“It’s less stressful now that my students will not need to travel from class to class,” teacher Susan Bernardi said. “It’s safer to keep my students in the class so we’re aware of what we’re eating.”

Although it was a great experience for students to travel around classrooms to try foods, it has come to an end this year. Now, teachers will be forbidding students to leave the class to travel to neighboring classrooms for other treats. So all students are accounted for in each class to make sure that not any allergic reactions will occur.

All allergies set aside, this doesn’t stop students from making the best out of world language week and having an eventual time while participating.

“I had a lot of fun doing the scavenger hunt and learning about other cultures,” junior Shelby Carlson said.

When there’s fun, there’s always underlying work involved. To students, world language week may seem like all fun and games, but in reality it is not. All of the planning and preparation work is done solely by the teachers. So although they are able to pull it off, it is no walk in the park.

“I enjoy world language week,” teacher Julie Wright said. “Although, I believe student’s don’t recognize the all the work it takes to pull it off.”

Students find this most enjoyable due to the fact that it is not only educational, but fun as well. By incorporating day to day phrases, and culture into world language week, it is not only entertaining for students enrolled, but even for all other students and staff who may not even be associated with language.

“I think it’s awesome,” teacher Aaron David said. “ This is a great way to see students have fun and incorporate learning into it as well.”

So if you are a person who partakes in language learning, take some time to celebrate it, and have fun!