Marching on the beat

Brooklynn Hathcock, Online Reporter

The Chieftain Marching Band has “The Greatest Show” of the year, directed by Brett Bays and conducted by drum majors Katherine Phillips, Gina Sapiano, Annie Droelle, and Dillon Wagner.

“The band, as well as myself, are beyond grateful for the bond that has been passed,” director Brett Bays said. “We got new instruments and harnesses that we definitely needed.”

Not only did the band benefit from the bond, their band boosters have also helped out. The boosters raised money to get the band new music folders, drum heads, and flags, too. Students took it on themselves to support the band, too. Earlier this year, students in the band grouped up and played in different locations throughout Utica to raise money and support for the band for Tag Day.

“I love Tag Day,” said junior drum major Annie Droelle. “We get practice playing the music for the show and we get to hang out with our friends, too.”

The band has many events coming up this year, the next being homecoming. Homecoming week is a big week for the band. Monday,  September 23, the band will be marching through the halls before the Competition Assembly. Before the Friday homecoming game, the band will be taking part in the parade. The band will participate in many other events throughout the year. The Mount Clemens Parade, tree lighting, MSBOA Marching Band Festival, UCS Band-A-Rama, the used instrument sale, and many other performances and shows,.

“We love the support from our boosters, parents, teachers, friends- just everyone,” sophomore Shea Hathcock said. “I can’t wait for what this year holds for us.”