Creativity flows at new writing club

Senior+Monica+Alejos-Gomez+eats+pizza+at+the+first+Creative+Writing+Club+meeting.+

Selina Rivera

Senior Monica Alejos-Gomez eats pizza at the first Creative Writing Club meeting.

Nur Awkal, Editor

Senior Monica Alejos-Gomez has always had a passion for writing, and now she gets to express her writing with her peers. She was inspired by a lot of students wanting to express their thoughts on certain subjects, but not having the place or audience to do this.

Gomez and senior Emily Churchill started the Creative Writing Club, which gives students bigger opportunities for their writing to become noticed, and inspires different techniques of writing to be expressed outside of ordinary English Class, helping students display emotion.

Churchill and Gomez’s English 12 teacher, Paula Ballard, assigned the class a creative writing assignment that asked students to write about a time they have used ethos, pathos, and logos in their own actual life, which helped inspire the club’s creation.

Many students find it very hard to express who they truly are in school, so this club helps put it in black and white. Creative Writing club gives teenagers a bigger platform to express their thoughts on certain topics they choose to write about as a group.

“Sometimes it can be about certain, recent, or past events that happened in life,” Gomez said, “or even feelings I have experienced all through-out my life.”

Every now and then, Gomez tries to bring in nature aspects into her creative writing. She uses it in a symbolic way to hook the reader that is interpreting her piece. The symbolism she adds in her writing helps heed the reader towards the creative ideas she has flowing all through-out her pieces.

Churchill has a different spin on creative writing. Rather than bringing nature into her writing like Gomez, Churchill likes to write realistic fiction pieces. Realistic fiction is a type of creative writing that is about events that never actually happened, but could happened in someone’s life. These pieces are usually filled with action, drama, and secrets. Churchill likes to write creatively, because it gives her a place to escape to when she is stressed out or not feeling well.

“Ballard asked us to embark on this new idea,” Churchill said, “of giving people a safe space to write.”

Churchill and Gomez both hope to accomplish and create a safe place where students can write and obtain opinions and feed back on the different story that every student writes. This feed back does not include grammatical errors like an ordinary English class would.

They would like to pass it down to someone else next year once the two seniors graduate, because it gives new students opportunities to experience the activities that they are including in their meetings that free their creative abilities and get them thinking with new fresh minds.