COVID-19 chaos and what it means

Parker Hopkins

Utica Community Schools among all districts in Michigan to close due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Haley Grooms, Print Editor-in-Chief

UPDATED AT 10:00 A.M. on Mar. 13, 2020

As students and staff have witnessed inside and outside of the classroom, one of the only major topics discussed is COVID-19, also known as Coronavirus . This pandemic is causing cancellations for universities, suspension of athletic events, and also creating panic within the toilet paper aisle. As of now, there are 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within Michigan.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “COVID-19 symptoms are similar to those of influenza (e.g., fever, cough, and shortness of breath), and the current outbreak is occurring during a time of year when respiratory illnesses from influenza and other viruses, including other coronaviruses that cause the “common cold,” are highly prevalent. To prevent influenza and possible unnecessary evaluation for COVID-19, all persons aged ≥6 months should receive an annual influenza vaccine; vaccination is still available and effective in helping to prevent influenza (9). To decrease risk for respiratory disease, persons can practice recommended preventive measures.”

Governor Gretchen Whitmer is also taking steps to combat COVID-19. In a press release, she stated that K-12 schools will shut down until Apr. 6.

“This is a necessary step to protect our kids, our families, and our overall public health,” said Governor Whitmer. “I am working with partners across state government to ensure educators, parents, and students have the support they need during this time, and to ensure our children who rely on school for meals have access to food. I know this will be a tough time, but we’re doing this to keep the most people we can safe. I urge everyone to make smart choices during this time and to do everything they can to protect themselves and their families.”

“Closing our K-12 school buildings is the responsible choice that will minimize the risk of exposure for children, educators, and families and mitigate the spread of coronavirus,” said Michigan State Superintendent Michael Rice. “The Department of Education will continue to work closely with our partners in state government to help our students and educators in each school district get through this time. This is about protecting the most people in Michigan.”

As of now, here is the list of cancellations and closures within the community:

• UTICA COMMUNITY SCHOOLS WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL APR. 13.
  • The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) has suspended all winter tournaments
  • The 2020 Wesner Show has been postponed
  • All field trips are cancelled
  • Utica Theatre’s Freaky Friday has been postponed
  • All club gatherings with over 70 people are cancelled.

Updates are to follow concerning Utica Community School’s actions.

More information on the pandemic can be found here.