California fires destroy 70,000 acres

TNS

Cloudy skies mix with smoke from the Mosquito fire to make for a dramatic sunrise on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022, Martinez, California. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group/TNS)

Dana Brinker, Reporter

The Mosquito Fire has been running rampant in Northern California since Sept. 6th, 2022. Many homes have been burned down in the Foresthill community.

“It’s awful,” sophomore Brianna Le’Merise said, “resources have been lost, and it’s taking away people’s homes.”

$126 million dollars have been spent on containing the fire alone, 76 structures were destroyed and 13 were damaged.

“California probably has so many wildfires since its climate is so much drier over there,” junior Adi Catarino said. “The fires are definitely affecting their trees and wildlife, the air quality, too.”

With over 70,000 acres of land being ruined, wildlife has been harmed tremendously.

“I think it’s kind of sad,” sophomore Cora Stephens said, “I like animals a lot, and it’s killing them. Maybe people could use water sprinklers in the forest to help it from getting so dry. Stop smoking in the forest, too.”

Some students were concerned about preventing natural disasters in the future.

“There isn’t true way to fix it, it’s a climate change issue, there isn’t enough rain to dampen the area,” sophomore Melissa Simms said. “I feel like we are less at risk for wildfires here in Michigan, but we are still at risk of tornados or earthquakes since the temperature changes so quickly.”

Most students were concerned about the health of the families and wildlife in California and offered some solutions. Watering the drier parts of the state and being conscious of smoking were common ideas in solving the wildfire issue.