Former football star joins Utica family as new principal

Yunans Youhana, Reporter

He walks Utica’s halls in his suit and tie, but during his Eisenhower High School days, principal Tim Youngblood was more likely to be seen wearing an athletic jersey.

A three-sport athlete, Youngblood earned two varsity letters in football, two in basketball and three in baseball. He was also a member of the varsity weightlifting club and, outside of school, played recreational hockey. He also served as captain on both the football and basketball teams his senior year.
Of all these sports, Youngblood enjoyed football the most, where he was quarterback and strong safety, and threw 24 touchdown passes and had 2,056 yards in passing.

“I became interested in football because my older brothers played it,” Youngblood said, “and my dad was our coach for the Shelby Lions.”

During his senior year, Youngblood was inducted into the Michigan High School Football Coaches Hall of Fame.

“Youngblood was a two-way starter who led his football team to an 11-1 record, MAC Championship and Regional Championship,” his MHSFCA biography said. “The only loss of the Eagles in 1992 was to State Champions, Detroit Catholic Central… in overtime.”

Youngblood earned several awards as an Eisenhower Eagle, including All MAC Red Division First Team, All County First Team, All Metro East First Team, All Suburban First Team, All Metro First Team, and All State First Team.

His high school football career, however, didn’t come without its struggles.

“I suffered some injuries while playing football,” Youngblood said. “A torn MCL, separated shoulder, concussions, and a broken thumb.”

Youngblood’s football career didn’t end after he graduated high school in 1993.

“I received a football and academic scholarship for Hillsdale College,” Youngblood said. “I played QB there.”

Youngblood played for Hillsdale from 1993 to 1998, where he was a three-year letterman.

“High school is the best time of your life,” Youngblood said, “enjoy it with your friends. When you play a sport in college, it’s enjoyable, but it is a full-time job and it isn’t quite the same. I especially valued the friendships and lifelong connections.”

After graduating from college, Youngblood became a coach for various teams.

“I’ve coached for Anchor Bay High School, Fitzgerald High School, Rochester Youth Football Club, and Motor City Hitdogs (baseball),” Youngblood said.

Although sports have played an important role in Youngblood’s life, he has also been a strong advocate for education, earning an Education Specialist in Administration from Oakland University. He began his teaching career in Anchor Bay Schools, where he taught history and biology.

Following his transition to Utica Community Schools, Youngblood served in several administrative capacities over the past 12 years. He was the interim principal at Henry Ford II High School, as well as associate principal at Stevenson High School, before making the move to Utica High.

“Utica High has a calm atmosphere,” Youngblood said. “I felt completely lucky and honored to get this job.”