Polls

This poll has ended.

Rate the movie "The Five Nights at Freddy's" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Controversial Penalty Robs Lions of Deserved Win in Clash Against Cowboys

Lions wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown runs against Cowboys cornerback DaRon Bland during the first half at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas on Saturday, Dec. 30, 2023.
Junfu Han, Detroit Free Press

In a matchup filled with excitement and anticipation, the Detroit Lions were dealt a crushing blow by a controversial penalty call that cost them a well-deserved victory against the Dallas Cowboys. The game ended in dramatic fashion, leaving fans and players alike stunned and frustrated by the referee’s decision. The Lions had just scored a potential game-tying touchdown with 23 seconds remaining and decided to go for two instead of settling for the extra point. The Lions executed a well-designed trick play on the two-point conversion, with quarterback Jared Goff throwing a pass to the back of the end zone to Lions tackle Taylor Decker, who made a fantastic catch. However, the celebration was short-lived as a flag was thrown, nullifying the go-ahead points. Referees called an illegal touching penalty on Decker, claiming that he had not declared himself as eligible to catch the pass. The flag erased the Lions’ points from the board, and despite two more attempts, they failed to Convert the two-point conversion.

“The Lions always get cheated throughout my life; it was clear he reported!” – Utica principal Tim Youngblood said.

Dan Campbell, Goff, Decker and Skipper all say Decker reported as eligible. It appears the ref may have confused which player declared. Referee Brad Allen spoke to reporters after the game and stubbornly stood by the call, saying Skipper did report as eligible. New video evidence that came out during the night of the games showed Decker did go up to the referee Bran Allen, but Allen purposefully ignored him and walked the other direction. It appears that Allen’s decision was based on a confusing mix-up, as both Decker and Skipper assert that Decker had indeed reported as eligible. It raises serious questions about the NFL and the referee’s judgment and attentiveness, especially in such a critical moment of the game. As the Lions and their fans recover from this heart-wrenching loss, they can take pride in the fact that their valiant effort and undeniable skill were on full display. It is a shame that their triumph was unjustly snatched away by a questionable penalty call, tarnishing what should have been a memorable victory.