College visits provide students with information about their futures

Elizabeth Cetnar and Lauren Clair

Macomb Community College, University of Alabama, Hillsdale College, College for Creative Studies, and more colleges are no longer waiting for students to visit their campuses. Admissions representatives are now coming to students that may not be able to visit themselves.

Some teachers and classes require their students to sign up for the maximum 3 college presentations through Naviance, Utica Community Schools’ college and career preparation tool. Other students sign up on their own.

Presentations are held by a representative from the school, and take place in either the ECC or the Counseling Center. Students are responsible for getting to the presentation on the day it takes place- they will not be reminded about it after they are signed up.

The schedule for which colleges are coming when can be found on Utica High’s calendar, here.

“I think,” sophomore Cameron Smale said after attending a presentation from Wayne State, “they did a good job presenting scholarships and requirements.”

College visits provide information directly from the school that you are interested in. Representatives speak about school requirements, class sizes, and even campus life.

The college visits are very convenient. You do not have to travel to learn about where you want to go to school in the future. One only has to go as far as the ECC or the counseling office. College visits also don’t cost anything, and you can explore your interests.

Presentations have limited space, so don’t wait to sign up!