Arrow print publication to be crowned in March

The Silver Crown award, which Arrow received several times in the past, is proudly displayed in room 205

Hannah Piasecki, Design Editor

In 2016, Arrow publication staff members headed to New York City to receive their second consecutive Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) Crown Award. On Oct. 10, 2017, the news emerged that the Arrow print newspaper became a finalist for another Crown Award.

“I was thrilled when I got the message from [teacher Stacy] Smale,” principal Thomas Lietz said. “I couldn’t have been happier. I think [the Arrow staff does] a phenomenal job.”

The Crown Awards are the most prestigious awards given by the CSPA.

“To get an award from an institution like [CSPA] says that you are trying to truly give kids information that is important, relevant, and as factual as you can make it,” Lietz said. “And that’s important; that’s what it should be.”

Each publication is judged against other publications from similar schools. High schools, middle schools/junior high schools, and colleges/universities are all grouped and judged separately.

“The most important thing in this day and age, in this society,” Lietz said, “that we can have is young people learning the value of asking tough questions.”

Both Gold Crown Awards and Silver Crown Awards can be earned by a publication.

“I really hope we win Gold,” design editor Alexa Reynolds said, “especially because Columbia is housed at one of the Ivy League schools.”

“[The award] would look good for when I start college applications,” Reynolds said.

It is a point of pride for Utica High School that their student media paper has been recognized for greatness.

“I think it’s really cool,” reporter Lauren Clair said. “I’m really glad to be a part of such a good journalism program.”

News regarding the results of the Crown Awards will be shared in mid-March, when the awards ceremony is held.