Mourning Vine one year later

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mourning Vine one year later

Madalyn Dishman and Jacob Joseph

For many, it has been a dark time since the iconic app Vine shut down in January this year. Millions of six second videos vanished from our lives as there is no way to continue the popular app.

This may seem like an over exaggeration, but for some, the only hope for cherishing these videos is by creating compilations on YouTube or creating a tweet thread (a series of linked tweets including the vine) of these videos on Twitter.

Since Vine’s launch in 2013, it has been a staple for many laughs and newsworthy moments that many will always cherish. After its launch, it only took a couple of months to start the app’s revolution.

In August of 2013, 40 million users had already downloaded the app. Over the next coupe of years, the videos posted on Vine created many inside jokes and many memories to cherish.

“Vine gave social media whole new platform,” junior Cooper Doucette said. “When I found out Vine was ending I was depressed.”

With the wide spectrum of topics to create vines from, many people have different favorite vines. The app gave us insight on important news events that others may not have seen otherwise.

The most popular vine is a clip from the Paris attack that took place on Nov. 13, 2016. The video included a video of a soccer game in which the sound of the bombings could be heard.

“I think it’s crazy that a vine so newsworthy was the most popular,” junior Jessica Johnson said. “I feel like this just shows that Vine has such a large impact on teens.”

As many are always looking for a new way to remember Vine, two college students may have found what could be the next bestthing. A spin-off of Rupi Kaur’s popular poetry book “Milk and Honey” has stormed the Amazon charts and has even surpassed the original book. “Milk and Vine” is described as a “beautifully designed reflection of the thought-provoking ideas that spread through this amazing platform” on their Amazon description and some students agree.

“I’m excited to read Milk and Vine because Vine was the greatest app and I miss it,” Johnson said. “I want to relive all of the good vines and I’m just ready for a good laugh.”

While many are excited to read this parody, others are upset about the content. The book doesn’t give credit to the “Milk and Honey” author, which has created an uproar on social media.

“They didn’t credit any of the people,” Daris said. “I don’t think that’s fair to them. It doesn’t take long to find out who made each vine.”

Despite what others think, many other believe this is a new creative way to remember the app.

While the students are still mourning over the loss of Vine, co-founder of Vine, Dom Hofmann hinted as to what is in store for a possible follow-up app. He recently tweeted a series of tweets that made many very excited.

“I’m going to work on a follow-up to Vine. I’ve been feeling it myself for some time and have seen a lot of tweets, dms, etc.” tweeted Hofmann. Six days later he added to the tweet saying “v2.”

Although some may be skeptical over this new app, afraid it will disappoint teenagers all around the world, others just can’t wait for this revival.

Whether you’ve never understood the references or hype around the app, or still watch compilations nightly, Vine has made an impact on how teens today communicate and will continue to despite its ending earlier this year.

Madalyn Dishman, Editor-in-Chief

Madalyn is currently a senior and is very excited to start her third year as editor-in-chief. When she's not dealing with Jacob, Evan, and Collin's goofy...

Jacob Joseph, Managing Editor

Jacob is currently a senior and is very ecstatic to be the Managing Editor, and a three-year newspaper staff member. He can't wait to be the heir to the...