MLK day at Utica

Shelby Carlson, Guest Reporter

On January 21, 2019 the second annual MLK day of service will take place.

There are going to be six activities offered for students to part take in. The stations are Project Linus blanket making, fleece hat making, Para-cord bracelets making, Kids against hunger, Gleaners sorting and folding of mailers. There will also be an essay contest.

“It was amazing last year,” teacher Linda Kammann said. “ We had about 100 students.”

These projects will take place in the ECC room and the cafeteria. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“I’m really excited to get closer to finishing my service hours for NHS,” junior Nur Awkal said. “And help my community to strive.”

The items being made will be sent to various people in need. The materials needed for the projects are getting donated and certain things will be bought.

“I’m looking forward to the MLK day of service,” senior Anna Trenkamp said. “Because it’s a way to give back to my community in the best way possible.”

The blankets will be send to Project Linus, a non-profit organization that makes blankets for children who are in need. The fleece hats will be sent to those in need. The para-cord bracelets are for first responders.

Kids against hunger and Gleaners are both fighting to eliminate hunger. Gleaners serves Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Monroe, and Livingston Counties. Kids against hunger is working towards fighting hunger worldwide.

The essay is an on the spot essay and the winner will receive either a parking pass or a prom ticket.

.