Back for a New Season

Ian Somerhalder (left), Nina Dobrev (middle), and Paul Wesley from The Vampire Diaries pose for a photoshoot for their series that ended in 2017.

Andrew Eccles

Ian Somerhalder (left), Nina Dobrev (middle), and Paul Wesley from “The Vampire Diaries” pose for a photoshoot for their series that ended in 2017.

Mackenzie Olmstead, Guest Reporter

The world we live in is filled with a lot of TV shows and thanks to online streaming services like Netflix, we have a lot of options right at our hands. Though Netflix is very popular, many shows are still on live TV. And after what is considered a long break to many fans, a lot of these shows are coming back from their mid-winter break.

From CW’s “Legacies” to AMC’s “The Walking Dead” to CW’s “Riverdale,” there are many different types of shows to binge on with a bowl of popcorn and a nice, warm blanket.

A show that recently returned to television, specifically in September, is “The Big Bang Theory,” which is on its 12th and final season.

One student who is a viewer of this show is junior Mina Viviano.

“I like “The Big Bang Theory” because it’s a smart type of funny,” she said. “It makes me laugh.”

Thrillers or other shows that get you thinking are the way to go for Viviano, who’s favorite shows are “Sherlock” and “American Horror Story.”

“The show “Sherlock” keeps my brain thinking while I watch TV,” Viviano said. “I like the thrill of American Horror Story, it scares me.”

Other shows Viviano is a fan of are “Bones,” “Criminal Minds,” and “One Tree Hill,” which all started in the early 2000s.

Travel shows, HGTV shows and sports are popular amongst office faculty Cheryl Jurewicz, but you can also catch her watching “The Neighborhood,” which premiered on CBS in October of 2018.

“The Neighborhood” is funny,” Jurewicz said. “It’s the times. It’s what’s going on.”

Some shows that are returning to TV this January are “Supernatural,” and “Riverdale” both on CW. AMC’s “The Walking Dead” is returning in February of this year.

Senior Tyler Seib is a viewer of “Supernatural,” as well as “Arrow,” set to return on Jan. 21.

“I think it’s cool [that “Supernatural” and “Arrow” are returning],” Seib said. “Because they’re the only good shows that come on TV.”

One student who is also a fan of “Supernatural,” as well as “Riverdale,” and “The Walking Dead” is sophomore Hannah Taylor.

“I get nervous about shows returning,” Taylor said. “Sometimes shows go on too long and they get boring. It’s disappointing when your favorite show turns into something it wasn’t meant to be like.” Another show Taylor is a fan of is ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” which will be back from its mid-winter break on Jan. 17.

Taylor’s favorite show to watch, however, is CW’s “The Vampire Diaries,” which finished up its eighth and final season in March of 2017.

“My favorite show is “The Vampire Diaries” even though it’s getting old,” Taylor said. “I loved all the characters and I feel like the plot never lost its magic even when one of the main characters died.”

Though “The Vampire Diaries” is not coming back for a new season, it is still on Netflix and has had two spin-offs made from it including “The Originals,” and “Legacies.”

“Legacies” is about a witch following in the footsteps of her father’s legacy in an attempt to maneuver survival with or against other supernatural creatures. Characters from “The Originals,” as well as the first series, “The Vampire Diaries” can be seen on episodes of the newest show. “Legacies” is set to return to CW on Jan. 24, 2019 for the second half of its first season.