Lacrosse team makes history

Varsity lacrosse team makes history for the program by winning their first play off game.

The lacrosse team celebrating their first ever playoff win GAVIN FROMM COURTESY PHOTO

Mackenzie Malone, Social Media Editor

The Utica Varsity Boy’s Lacrosse team made history for their program this week. For the first time in the team’s history, the boys have won a playoff game and will advance to the next round.

“We worked insanely hard this season,” senior Gavin Fromm said.”I couldn’t be more proud of the guys.”

Their first playoff game was against Chippewa Valley High school, the final score being 12-6. Maguire Palicke scored the most points, scoring six out of the 12.

“He knows how to play lacrosse and he does it well,” senior Nathan Montalbano said. “It was a great game for him.”

During the off season, the team gained a new coach, Ryan Swiatkowski. Swiatkowski is a former Eisenhower High School Lacrosse coach and former lacrosse player at Grand Valley State University.

In addition to the new coach, the teams relationship attributed a lot to their success this season.

“Everyone on the team are close friends,” Montalbano said, “which makes playing together a lot easier.”

The program has been around for ten years but this is the first time that they boys made it through a play off game.

Their next game will be against Cousino on May 16 at 7 pm at Cousino.