Utica opens its doors for parents

Piper Halbhuber, Online Reporter

It’s time for parents to walk the same steps as their students at the annual Open House.

On Wednesday, Sept 18, parents will meet in the auditorium at 6:30 p.m. and then school is in session, when they walk the halls and follow their students’ schedules for ten minutes per class. The evening will conclude at 8:30 p.m.

Although Open House is aimed toward parents, students are still welcome to go.

“I’m not super into the Open House, but I guess it’s kind of cool to hear my teachers’ opinions,” sophomore Halayna Hills said. “If my mom goes, I’m sure she won’t be surprised at what my teachers have to say.”

Of course it’s quite common for students to dislike Open Houses, but parents are encouraged to attend and meet their child’s teachers.

In an email sent home to parents, principal Tom Lietz reminded parents that student’s schedules are available on the PowerSchool app or can be printed from PowerSchool on a desktop.

“We will not send home paper schedules,” Lietz said, “though you can come to the office to have one printed out if necessary.”

A big athletic event has been scheduled at the same time, across the street at Swinehart Field.

“The JV and varsity soccer teams are playing Eisenhower starting at 4:30,” teacher Stacy Smale said, “so the parking lot might be a little crazy. I suggest parents try to arrive a little early.”