Girls swim team working hard

Aspen Halbhuber, Online Reporter

Saturday, Oct. 5, was the county meet for the girls swim team. Every girl that qualified last weekend swam their best time, and the team finished in 7th place out of 19 teams in the county.

The girls that qualified and competed in the meet were freshmen Abby Keen and Sophia Wenzel, sophomores Cordelia Kraus and Katie Sunday, juniors AnnaMaria Kistios, Haley Michol, Brittany Shock, and Katelyn Beauvais, and senior Danielle Washburn.

The 200 medley relay and 200 freestyle relay teams, consisting of Abby Keen, Brittany Shock, Haley Michol, and AnnaMaria Kitsios, finished in 5th place.

“It felt great because it was a high adrenaline meet and everyone swam their best time,” Shock said. “I couldn’t be prouder of the way the girls have improved.”

In the 100 breaststroke, Shock placed 5th. Kitsios finished in 5th place in the 100 yard freestyle and 10th in the 50 yard freestyle. Keen placed 4th place in the 100 backstroke and set a brand new record for Utica.

“It was such an exciting moment, it’s hard to even put into words,” Keen said, “the best part was having such a supportive team behind me who were genuinely happy as well.”

The girls are halfway through their season and their current record is 4-2 and they are 2-1 in the MAC BLUE division. The team’s goal is to repeat as MAC BLUE championships and to break some school records.

Coach Joe Michol said that the girls have only 5 more meets and the last meet is on Saturday, Nov. 8, the MAC BLUE championship.

“We hope to win the last meet and become back to back champions and we are also getting close to breaking a few more school records,” Michol said. “The girls are working hard and having fun.”

The girls swim team plans on working hard and having fun along the way for the rest of the season.