The lights of Downtown Rochester

Oliver Gamez, Editor

Every year since 2006, Main Street in downtown Rochester has been brightly lit to commemorate the winter season. Opening night this season was Nov. 13 and ran through Sunday Jan. 31. Though the season has come and gone it’s important to remember why it is so beloved.

“I think the lights are a beautiful way to introduce the holiday season,” senior Brooke Budd said. “I look forward to them every year.”

With two crews working continually for eight weeks seven days a week, this year the city was lit with about 1.2 million lights. As well as the vast number of lights set up, there have been additional changes made.

“This year we tried to expand it to new blocks,” Executive Director of Rochester DDA Kristi Trevarrow said. “We’ve also added giant snowman, a Santa train, carolers, nutcrackers, and an ice skating family.”

Many gather far and near to visit the Rochester Lights, and roaming downtown every winter has assuredly allowed the event to become a beloved pillar of southeast Michigan.

“I know someone who goes to the lights every year with loved ones for their birthday,” sophomore April Alexander said. “It really builds a sense of community and allows people to come together.”

While the lights have been around for years, they will surely be back for many more, and every time it will be brighter than ever.