Science Olympiad comes to a close

Leah Wylie and Jacob Joseph

As we switch over to the spring season, many clubs and sports seasons are ending. Among those clubs is Science Olympiad. The participants train and learn about their events in preparation for the regional competition, which was on March 18th.

Teacher Bryant Sebastian is the head coach for Science Olympiad and has been for four years. Prior to being head coach, Sebastian was an event coach under the former head coach, teacher Mark Moehlig. The students were so grateful for his commitment to the team everyday without being overbearing.

“He makes us think for ourselves,” senior Vita Simmons said. “He makes himself available to us after every day. He’s a great mentor.”

Fifteen students participated in the competition. Members placed 3rd in Microbe Mission, 3rd place in Source Code, and 4th in Disease Detectives. The team placed 11th overall and metaled in three events. The team was just shy of making the state competition, which required placing in the top seven as a team.

“It taught me the importance of teamwork,” senior Albert Nilaj said. “It also taught me the importance of doing things on time.”

Science Olympiad not only teaches students about science, it also helps them develop skills that they can apply later in life.

“This will help me in so much in the future,” sophomore Jonathan Guerin said. “In the future, we’ll have to work with co-workers so the team building goes a long way.”

A full team for Science Olympiad is 15 students and this year was the first full team. Due to the growing participation in the past few years, Science Olympiad is optimistic about the future of the team.